Pedestrian Safety at Construction Sites

  • pjroehrich
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 8, 2010
      I was of the impression that a couple years ago the District changed its laws such that when a sidewalk is closed for construction the responsible party (contractor?) is required to provide an alternate path--either in a protected part of the street or a covered walkway--so that pedestrians are not forced to cross mid-block and/or walk in the street. Is that true?

      I have observed at least 2 construction sites where the contractors did not set up a safe alternate walkway: at the Casey Trees building at 12th & Irving NE and in the Giant/Home Depot parking lot (yesterday I saw a woman pushing a baby stroller adjacent to the fence).

      Is MPD able to help ensure that these locations are compliant & safe for pedestrians (or at least refer it to the appropriate agency)? Certainly no one (especially not a child in a stroller) should have to square-off against a car because of a construction project.

      Yours,
      Peter