Re: Enforcing DC's Fireworks Laws Is MPD's Responsibility...

  • dachare
    Message 1 of 32 , Jul 8, 2010
      I say amen to that. The fireworks have been going off in my neighborhood since early June, and continued, albeit somewhat subdued, through last night (and I expect will go on for several more weeks). Some of the fireworks that have been set off - mostly this past weekend, but some before and after - have been loud enough to rattle windows. The fireworks continued loudly and regularly until after 3 AM on Tuesday, July 6, and infrequently until after 1 AM last night (because apparently I'm the only one who has to go to work in the morning).

      More importantly, the fireworks this weekend were a major safety issue. We have had extremely hot and dry weather for several weeks, and many people's grass and other plants are extremely dry. The fireworks were being shot off without regard as to whether hot ash or malfunctioning charges would hit homes, cars, or people. Apparently witnesses saw people setting fireworks off on the roof of the house on RI Ave. NW that subsequently caught on fire. Despite what others have mentioned, we saw numerous children handling fireworks, including firecrackers, cherry bombs, roman candles, and large flying and exploding fireworks - in other words, things that can seriously hurt them - with minimal adult supervision (no, someone who's been drinking/drugging since noon is not sufficient supervision to entrust your kid with an explosive ordinance).

      And then there's the other things the fireworks brought out. I don't know if it was because people were setting the fireworks off in the street or the fireworks were just a distraction or if the holiday meant a vacation from the law, but we saw no fewer than 10 people run our stop sign at full speed Sunday evening, sometimes the same car more than once. Drivers were moving noticeably faster on Sunday night. People were drinking in the street (not the yard, the street). Large groups were gathering all weekend and being loud and boisterous (and, in my neighborhood, probably selling and using drugs and drinking in public) until 3 or 4 in the morning.

      And the police did nothing about any of this. We called, multiple times, and got ONE response (outdoor party going on loudly after 3 AM), and that response was pathetic, at best. College students are cracked down on harder for the same behavior, and they tend not to gather on street corners known for drug activity.

      Don't want to brave the Metro? Do what me & my neighbors did and find a street corner, balcony, or roof deck where you can see the downtown fireworks. Or put on "A Capitol Fourth" (free on PBS) and down a few brews. Or head to a suburban display that is also professionally executed, supervised by fire officials, and more impressive than the annoying stuff you set off in the street. But permitting the level of bad and dangerous behavior that went on this weekend just sends the message that no one cares...go ahead and do whatever you want.

    • Vaughn-Lee, Fayette (MPD)
      Message 32 of 32 , Jul 2, 2014

      5D Community,

      For your Information and Sharing

      Before you purchase an expensive haul of fireworks, make sure that you can legally ignite and use them in the District. In general, any firework that explodes is illegal in the city. Any person found using or in the possession of illegal fireworks in the District of Columbia could face fines and penalties of up to $2,000 and/or arrest for further prosecution.

       Characteristics of Illegal Fireworks

      An illegal firework as defined in Article 27 of the DC Official Code may have any of the following traits:

                              Any firework that moves

                              Any firework that explodes

                              Any firework that emits a spark or flame greater than 12 feet

                              Any firework that has a side-mounted fuse or a fuse inserted at any point along the length of the product’s surface

                              Any firework that contains mercury (Hg), arsenic (Ar), magnesium (Mg), phosphorus (Ph), or any other highly- 0xidizing agent

                              Any firework that the Fire Marshal considers to be dan­gerous to the safety of any person or property

                              See the table above for specific examples of illegal fireworks

       Reporting Illegal Fireworks

      To report the use or sale of illegal fireworks, contact the DC Fire/EMS Department’s Fire Prevention Division at (202) 727-1600 or (202) 727-1614.

      If you are aware of fireworks being set off in your neigh­borhood, call 9-1-1 to have police and fire personnel inves­tigate the situation. Please see the attached brochure that will explain firework safety

      Roll up your sleeves and beautify your schools! Register to volunteer on Saturday, August 23, 2014.