Re: Fireworks Safety

  • Greg
    Message 1 of 32 , Jul 6, 2010
      Most fireworks ARE illegal in DC. Here is a list of those and types that are legal and ILLEGAL. Here is the link as well: http://fems.dc.gov/fems/cwp/view,a,3,q,623143.asp

      Pretty much, anything that can explode is illegal. Have we been obeying the law in DC?

      ------------

      What types of fireworks are legal in the District of Columbia?

      Sparklers less than 20 inches, torches, box fire, fountains, cones, dip sticks, non-poisonous snakes, paper novelty items, colored lights, and paper caps.

      Back to top of page

      Which fireworks products are illegal in DC?

      Firecrackers or fireworks that explode, such as cherry bombs, salutes, Roman candles, floral shells, and artillery shells.

      Back to top of page

      What can I do if I see someone engaging in illegal fireworks use or sales?

      As a citizen of the District of Columbia, it is your duty to report the use of illegal fireworks use or sales to the DC Fire Marshals office at (202) 727-1600 for immediate action.

      Back to top of page.

      What are the penalties for using illegal fireworks?

      Any person found engaging in the use or possession of illegal fireworks in the District of Columbia could face fines and penalties up to $1,000 and/or arrest for further prosecution.

      Back to top of page.

      Who should I buy my fireworks from?

      Every citizen in the District of Columbia should only purchase fireworks from a licensed vendor.

      Back to top of page

      What permits do I need to sell fireworks in DC?

      As a retail fireworks dealer in the District of Columbia, you should obtain a business license from DCRA and a permit from the DC Fire Marshal's office for fireworks inspection and storage. If a retailer can't produce both permits upon request, the firework products will be seized and the vendor will be closed. KEEP ALL PERMITS AND LICENSES ON PREMISES AT ALL TIMES.

      Any person wishing to sell fireworks in the District of Columbia must obtain two permits:

      * Permit to sellers retail license from the Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs (DCRA).
      * A fireworks permit from the Office of the Fire Marshal, which will be issued upon site inspection. The permit price is $50.

      --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, joshua.maye@... wrote:

      > Are fireworks illegal in DC? When was the law passed & what was it passed under?
      >
      > Blessed 4th Everyone

    • Vaughn-Lee, Fayette (MPD)
      Message 32 of 32 , Jul 2, 2014

      5D Community,

      For your Information and Sharing

      Before you purchase an expensive haul of fireworks, make sure that you can legally ignite and use them in the District. In general, any firework that explodes is illegal in the city. Any person found using or in the possession of illegal fireworks in the District of Columbia could face fines and penalties of up to $2,000 and/or arrest for further prosecution.

       Characteristics of Illegal Fireworks

      An illegal firework as defined in Article 27 of the DC Official Code may have any of the following traits:

                              Any firework that moves

                              Any firework that explodes

                              Any firework that emits a spark or flame greater than 12 feet

                              Any firework that has a side-mounted fuse or a fuse inserted at any point along the length of the product’s surface

                              Any firework that contains mercury (Hg), arsenic (Ar), magnesium (Mg), phosphorus (Ph), or any other highly- 0xidizing agent

                              Any firework that the Fire Marshal considers to be dan­gerous to the safety of any person or property

                              See the table above for specific examples of illegal fireworks

       Reporting Illegal Fireworks

      To report the use or sale of illegal fireworks, contact the DC Fire/EMS Department’s Fire Prevention Division at (202) 727-1600 or (202) 727-1614.

      If you are aware of fireworks being set off in your neigh­borhood, call 9-1-1 to have police and fire personnel inves­tigate the situation. Please see the attached brochure that will explain firework safety

      Roll up your sleeves and beautify your schools! Register to volunteer on Saturday, August 23, 2014.