Fireworks Crimes: Time For SILENT Majority to Demand Action

  • DB
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5, 2010
      Absolutely right Kathy, Patrick and others!

      Since political leaders in PG and Monty counties have had the courage to ban fireworks for the peace and quiet enjoyment of the vast majority of their residents, the District has become a worsening haven for criminal perpetrators from Maryland (mostly)-- as well as some in DC -- every 4th of July.

      And I'm glad we didn't see Fayette's (HQ's/Chief Lanier's?) earlier post, or we would have been doing a slow burn long before last night's outrageous punk-outsiders perpetrated upon PSA 502 residents the following CRIMES...

      -- unlawful entry

      -- disturbing the peace
      -- cruelty to animals
      -- destruction of property

      Why are thoughtless mob-behavior crimes perpetrated by so few people upon so many DC residents allowed to disturb the peace and quiet enjoyment of the 4th of July?

      What about the peaceful enjoyment of the 4th of July denied our city's elderly and infirm?

      Why are the bizarre, selfish "pleasures" of so few allowed to inflict animal cruelty upon residents' dogs, cats and other pets-- as well as other urban wildlife throughout the city?

      DC has one of the finest licensed, professionally-controlled fireworks displays in the world.  No one in the District will be denied the ability to hear booms and see safe fireworks displays at a reasonable hour on the 4th of July-- assuming Council sees the wisdom and public safety in banning private use.

      Councilmembers' failure to join the overwhelming number of our metro area's suburban neighbors in stopping these fireworks-caused crimes, reflects poorly on the political courage of our entire city government, as well. DC should not be lagging behind our neighbors in providing common-sense protection for our citizens and our pets.  That the entire Commonwealth of Virginia is more progressive than DC on this issue is just an embarrassment.

      MPD's earlier listserv advisory to 5D residents to call the DCFD-- with its implication that MPD should NOT POLICE and enforce our existing LAWS-- was outrageous.  It reflected poorly on MPD, HQ/ Chief Lanier, as well as the Mayor.  But as a law enforcement matter, the political pandering to fireworks nuisance-makers-- many of whom are NOT DC residents-- by DC city leaders, places an unfair burden on MPD's rank-and-file, by not giving MPD an additional criminal tool to end this increasing 4th-of-July mayhem.

      We are unabashed supporters of CM Harry Thomas for re-election as Ward 5 Councilmember.  But we call upon CM Thomas and the entire Council, as well as the Mayor to END these annual fireworks-caused crimes in DC-- including the animal cruelties perpetrated-- on behalf of the peace and public safety of the vast majority of our city's residents.

      Don and Brian
      Brookland
      PSA 502

      PS -- Kudos and thanks to Cmdr Greene and MPD's PSA 502 team for their response in patrolling and ending the disturbances on Otis and around the Metro late last night.  We suspect this will be of keen interest to our ANC on a personal level-- and hope this is another issue upon which we can find common, neighborly ground w/ ANC Carolyn Steptoe.

      PPS --  FYI, Consumer fireworks laws/prohibitions in surrounding jurisdictions...

      MARYLAND (STATE & COUNTY) LAWS RE. CONSUMER FIREWORKS:

      Specifically Permitted...
      Sparklers containing no chlorates or perchlorates, ground based sparkling devices that are non-aerial non-explosive, and are labeled in accordance with the requirements of CPSC. Paper wrapped snappers containing less than 3/100 grains of explosive composition, and snakes that contain no mercury and are not regulated by DOT. Note: retailers must submit products for testing and approval to State Fire Marshal's Office prior to sale.

      Specifically Prohibited...
      All others

      MARYLAND LOCAL CONSUMER FIREWORKS RETAIL SALES REQUIREMENTS

      Consumer fireworks are illegal to retail or use in Town of Ocean City (Worcester County), Baltimore City, and the following counties: Harford, Howard, Montgomery, and Prince George's. Companies/individuals should contact local government for all other counties prior to wholesaling/distributing, retailing, or using consumer fireworks. The local government may require additional permits or fees.

      VIRGINIA LAWS RE. CONSUMER FIREWORKS:

      Specifically Prohibited throughout the Commonwealth...
      Firecrackers, skyrockets, torpedoes, and other fireworks which explode, travel laterally, rise into the air, or fire projectiles into the air.

      --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, khenderson029@... wrote:

      > I agree with Patrick; fireworks should be banned with the exception
      of
      > professional displays on our National Mall. Every year we endure
      this madness
      > and are essentially held hostage by persons discharging dangerous
      > explosives, while our police are overwhelmed responding to calls
      to disarm them.
      > Council action is needed to stop this significant breach to our
      public safety.
      > Six bills were introduced and failed during the recent Council
      periods 17
      > and 18; our representative failed to take any action other than
      saying no
      > to the legislation.
      >
      > Kathy Henderson
      >

      > In a message dated 7/4/2010 10:27:22 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      > arodeojock@... writes:

      > I have to send my dog to my parents in Maryland because of this crap.
      > Every year this area turns into Little Beirut. The City Council,
      the Mayor,
      > 911, and MPD are USELESS when it comes to fighting this culture.
      They tell us
      > that the fireworks that we see, hear, and feel for WEEKS during
      this time
      > are illegal, yet they do nothing about it. It’s a waste of
      valuable MPD
      > resources to go after all the illegal activity around fireworks.
      > We all know that these ramshackle fireworks stands are selling
      more than
      > sparklers and other “legal” fireworks. We need a ZERO TOLERANCE
      policy when
      > it comes to these dangerous product. Let Safeway sell sparklers
      and let’s
      > ban the firework shacks. It would decrease the number of 911 calls
      and give
      > the MPD the time and resources to focus on real crime.
      > Patrick Nelson
      > 1900 Block of H Street NE

      Our officers
      > will spend the next twenty-four hours responding repeatedly to
      calls for
      > relief from seemingly battle-worn residents who are tired of
      explosives.
      > Expect your Council representative to do nothing to offer any
      affected Ward 5
      > resident any relief.
      >
      > Kathy Henderson

      ---

      > In a message dated 7/4/2010 4:38:17 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      > svhill3@... a message

      > I will definitely do that. I also think it would have been nice to see
      > some flyers or information put out telling folks not to light or
      trash other
      > people property while trying to celebrate the holiday.
      >
      > Sabrina On Jul 3, 2010, Greene, Lamar (MPD) lamar.greene@lamar. wrote:
      >

      > Call 911 if you feel that someone has intentionally thrown a fire
      work on
      > your person. Officers will respond and take the appropriate
      action.
      > Commander Lamar D. Greene
      >
      > ____________________________________

      727-1614.
      > If you are aware of fireworks being set off in your neighborhood,
      call
      > 9-1-1 to have police and fire personnel investigate the situation.
      > Specially-trained teams will respond to ensure that any fireworks
      being set off are
      > legal and safe. These teams are also inspecting fireworks stands
      operating in
      > the District of Columbia for compliance with the law.
      > The Fire/EMS Department seizes illegal fireworks products that are
      > discovered in the District and destroys them after 30 days.
      Whether you're
      > celebrating Independence Day or the New Year, a backyard barbecue
      or other family
      > occasion, it is important to understand the laws regulating
      fireworks use
      > in the District of Columbia.
      > Fireworks Safety Tips
      > · Always read and follow label directions.
      > · Always have an adult present.
      > · Never ignite fireworks indoors.
      > · Only ignite fireworks outdoors.
      > · Always have water or sand nearby to extinguish
      fireworks after
      > use.
      > · Never experiment or attempt to make fireworks.
      > · Light fireworks one at a time.
      > · Never re-light malfunctioning or dud fireworks.
      > · Store fireworks out of the reach of children.
      > · Store fireworks in a cool, dry place.
      > · Never throw fireworks at another person.
      > · Never carry fireworks in your pocket.
      > · Stand at least15 feet from burning cones and fountains.
      > · Do not light fireworks near combustibles such as
      gasoline,