Re: [MPD-5D] Re: Throwing Stones

  • concernednbor@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 2, 2010
      I couldn't be more appalled. Since when is ASSUALT an offense that doesn't apply to juveniles? I'm livid. No wonder they think there are no consequences to their actions BECAUSE THERE ARE NONE APPARENTLY!

      From: Steven Conn <steven_conn@...>
      Sender: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 10:38:00
      To: <mpd-5d@yahoogroups.com>; <metbranchtrail@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [MPD-5D] Re: Throwing Stones

      Nothing that could be done? Last time I checked, just being a juvenile doesn't give anyone carte blanche to disrupt society. Everyone is responsible for their actions. Vulnerable youth should especially be held accountable by our police officers and other public agencies, since the youth obviously aren't learning "right from wrong" in their home environment.

      When I was growing up, I always feared if I did something wrong, my parents would get in trouble. It must still be the case, that parents are responsible for their offspring.

      Hopefully there's not a next time, but if there is, the officers should escort the troublemakers home, ànd explain to the parents that they may be held accountable for their delinquent youth.

      What a shame.

      On Fri Jul 2nd, 2010 10:18 AM EDT James T. Engelhardt wrote:

      >Why was there nothing the police could do? There were witnesses to these assaults on multiple people.
      >

      >________________________________

    • Sally Hobaugh
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 2, 2010
        I had kids throwing rocks at each other and houses in the alley and
        called 911. When the police came the officer was talking to the kids and it looked like he was going to drive away until I walked up and
        told him I was the one who called because I was afraid they were
        going to hurt each other or break something and they did not stop when I asked them. He then got out of his car, talked to the kids asked where they lived. Parents were home talked to the aunt and took the other kids home to talk to their parents.

        He did a great job and I thanked him for it, but I do agree that we
        need to do our part by sticking around and talking to the police about what was happening.

        Sent from my iPhone

      • Micciche, Christopher (MPD)
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 2, 2010
          Ms. Hobaugh,

          Thank you for offering some sage advice to your neighbors, and for praising the officer.

          If partnerships are to benefit everyone, then everyone has to contribute. Sometimes it is inconvenient to wait for officers to arrive, but in the end, it makes all the difference in the world when it comes to the results.

          Thank you for your help!

          Christopher J. Micciche
          Lieutenant
          Fifth District - PSA 504
          Metropolitan Police Department
          Washington, DC
          202-270-9655

          _______________________________

          <cathy.lanier@...<mailto:cathy.lanier%40dc.gov>> wrote:

          > Yes, of course there is. Commander Greene is looking into what
          > occured here.
          >

          > Have you heard the knock at your door?
          > U.S. Census workers are here to assist you with filling out the 2010
          > Census Form.
          > www.census.dc.gov

        • James T. Engelhardt
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 2, 2010
            Forwarding to the MPD-5D List (again, entered MPD-5D group address wrong first time).

            See below for further clarification that police told Daniel they couldn't do anything because they were juveniles.

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 2, 2010
              First of all, if a citizen was told that MPD cannot take any action because perpertraitors were juveniles, that is inaccurate. The citizen with first-hand knowledge of that situation should contact me directly via email, and I will investigate the allegation.

              Second, I just moved from PSA 501 to PSA 504, however, I have been the 5th District Watch Commander for 5 of the past 7 evening tours. Each night in roll call, PSA 501 officers were instructed to patrol the bike path. I know for a fact that the Edgewood Segway officers passed through there repeatedly, as did I.

              I am sorry if some folks don't see MPD when they happen to pass through, but I can assure you the police do patrol the area regularly. We do not, and cannot, have fixed posts manned by officers along the path. We also do not have a permanent mountain bike patrol on the path.

              We will continue to give that path intense attention via officers in cars (as long as the path is open to that), on mountain bikes, on segways, and on foot.

              Thanks for voicing the concerns.

            • concernednbor@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 2, 2010
                Message apparently received. I'm on trail now and patrol car just drove past us.

                From: "James T. Engelhardt" <james_engelhardt@...>
                Sender: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 14:28:32 -0700 (PDT)
                To: <MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com>; <metbranchtrail@yahoogroups.com>