- Council of the District of Columbia Office of Ward 5 Councilmember Harry Tommy Thomas, Jr. Community Announcement June 1, 2010 Contact: VictoriaMessage 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2010View Source
June 1, 2010
Contact: VictoriaA. Leonard
(desk) -- (cell)
In and Around Ward 5
State of the Ward Address, Tuesday, June 1, 2010, 6:30 pm to 8 pm, Archbishop Carroll High School, 4300 Harewood Road, NE: Join Councilmember Thomas as he delivers his State of the Ward Address. Lite refreshments will be served.
Drum Out Poverty Drum Circle, Saturday, June 12, 2010, from 1 pm to 5 pm, Turkey Thicket Recreation Center, 1100 Michigan Avenue, NE: Join Councilmember Thomas and Brookland community residents at this exciting event which will feature a blend of African, Afro Cuban, and Caribbean drum styles, as well as other exotic rhythms. There will be drum demonstrations as well as interactive drum classes for beginners and masters alike. The event will give its participants an exciting opportunity to tackle the serious issues surrounding national and global poverty, while also promoting the importance of community activism.
Ward 5 Community Forum on Public Safety, Monday, June 14, 2010, 6:30 pm, Luke C. Moore Academy, 10th and Monroe Streets, NE: Join your neighbors and community leaders in this important community opportunity to develop community policing strategies for public safety. Sponsored by Councilmember Thomas in partnership with the 5DCAC and the 4DCAC.
Father-Son Golf Tournament, Friday, June 18, 2010, Langston Golf Course, 2600 Benning Road, NE: Registration and continental breakfast at 7:30 am; shotgun start and two-man scramble at 8:30 am; awards lunch at 1:30 pm. For reservation information, contact ward5golf@....
Town Hall Meeting With Ft. Lincoln, South Central, and Gateway Residents, Tuesday, June 29, 2010, from 7 pm to 8:30 pm, Theo. Hagans Cultural Center, Wednesday, 3201 Ft. Lincoln Drive, NE: Come and share your thoughts and concerns with Councilmember Thomas.
Additional town hall meetings are scheduled as follows. Time for each is 7 pm to 8:30 pm:
* Tuesday, June 29, 2010 Town Hall Meeting for Residents at June 30, 2010 Town Hall Meeting for Woodridge, Langdon Park and Brentwood Residents at the Washington Center for Aging Services, 2601 18th Street, NE
* Wednesday, July 7, 2010 for Brookland and University Heights Residents at the Turkey Thicket Recreation Center, 1100 Michigan Avenue, NE
* Thursday, July 8, 2010 Town Hall Meeting for Caver and Langston Residents at the Patsy Hartsfield Community Center, 21st St and Maryland Avenue, NE
* Tuesday, July 13, 2010 for Bloomingdale and Stronghold Residents at All Nations Baptist Church, 2001 North Capitol Street, NE
* Wednesday, July 14, 2010 for Riggs Park and Pleasant Hills Residents at the WMATA Police Station at Ft. Totten Metro
Community and Other Events
Fathers, Families, and Fun Day at the Maryland Maniacs Professional Indoor Arena Football Game, Saturday, June 5, 2010, 7 pm, Cole Field House at the University of Maryland, 7950 Baltimore Avenue, College Park, MD: Sponsored by The 100 Fathers, Inc. Regular admission is $10, mention The 100 Fathers, Inc. and admission is $5.
Houses and Gardens of Brookland Tour, Sunday, June 6, 2010, from 12 noon to 5 pm (Reception 5 to 7 pm): Tour the lovely homes and gardens of Brookland! Tickets are $10 each and available at Petals, Ribbon, and Beyond, 3906 12th Street, NE. Sponsored by the Greater Brookland Garden Club.
DC Boys Choir Annual Spring Concert, Sunday, June 6, 2010, 4 pm, St. Paul's Center, Rock Creek Church Road and Webster Street, NW: Come and enjoy an evening of classical, spiritual, gospel, jazz, and contemporary music performed by the DC Boys choir. Donations accepted.
HSC Pediatric Center's June Fair 2010, Saturday, June 12, 2010, 10 am to 4 pm, 1731 Bunker Hill Road, NE: Free health screenings, clowns, games, vendors, giveaways, live talent, yoga, puppet show, face painting, and a flea market.
Harry "Tommy" Thomas, Jr. represents Ward 5 on the . Thomas chairs the Council's Committee on Libraries, Parks, and Recreation. He sits on four additional committees: Workforce Development and the Environment, Aging and Community Affairs, Housing and Workforce Development, and Public Services and Consumer Affairs.
Tel: 202/724-8028 - Fax: 202/724-8076