Shoot out on HSt NW Chinatown

  • Harold Houston III
    Message 1 of 3 , May 30, 2010
      It's funny how we keep getting reports that the violent crime is down in DC, but I'm trying to drive through Chinatown and can't because there was just a shoot out. Residents of the area have not been allowed to get home for two hours. Something is not adding up.

      -- Sent from my Palm Prē

      Trey Houston
    • Micciche, Christopher (MPD)
      Message 2 of 3 , May 30, 2010
        Sir, that incident did occur in the First District this evening. From what I understand, it was not a "shoot-out", but a disagreement between two neighborhoods that escalated into a targeted shooting. There was not, from what is known now, any exchange of gunfire.

        Violent crime has declined significantly in the city. That is a fact. However, regardless of the statistical decline, MPD still has plenty of work to do if any of our citizens still has a fear of crime in their neighborhoods. We continue to work in our communities to reduce crime and the fear of crime. With the help of community members, we strive to deter crime, and quickly arrest offenders.

        Crime will never be completely eliminated, but it is important to MPD that folks feel safe in their neighborhoods, and the city in general. Hopefully, we will continue to have partners in the community to assist us in making DC safer.

        Thank you for voicing your concern, and please be assured that we are working hard to further reduce violent crime in the city.

        Christopher J. Micciche
        Lieutenant
        Fifth District
        Metropolitan Police Department
        Washington, DC
        202-270-9655

        Have you heard the knock at your door?

        U.S. Census workers are here to assist you with filling out the 2010 Census Form.

        www.census.dc.gov

        Message 3 of 3 , May 31, 2010
          Trey,
          Violent crime is down,  However there continues to be a problem with people who lack the respect for life.
          The statistics are clearly demonstrating that homicide is down,  while the closure rate for such is drastically up.
          MPD is setting national standards for their closure rate on homicides.
          That does not mean there will be no more killing.
          Keith

          --
          Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
          P. J. O'Rourke

          Keith Jarrell
          Cell (202) 288-1867
          Fax (202) 315-2559