Don't Be a Crime Victim this Weekend! 10 Quick Safety Tips for Memorial Day Weekend
10 Quick Safety Tips for Memorial Day Weekend
1) Whether you are at the beach, parked in front of your house, or at a local gas station, do NOT leave items of value in your vehicle. (Especially GPS Devices, Laptops, iPods and Money)
2) Password-protect your cell phones.
3) Use, at least, one anti-theft device on your vehicle and keep all doors locked.
4) Avoid using ATMs at night, particularly ones located on streets. If you must use an ATM, use an indoor machine in a store. Always cover your hand when entering your PIN for extra security.
5) Avoid late night walks when you are alone. Don’t be a distracted driver or walker with cell phones and MP3 Players/iPods.
6) Always carry a form of ID on you, especially when running and jogging.
7) Do not drink and drive or let friends and family drink and drive.
8) Avoid carrying large sums of cash. Now is the time to audit your wallet or purse. Remove and lock away Social Security Cards and Passports when they are not needed.
9) At home, if you are traveling, tell a trusted neighbor or friend, leave lights on inside and out and set your motion and door alarms.
10) At a hotel, leave valuable items in the hotel safe. Lock it and take the key.
Register for Crime Alerts in the Neighborhood to Be sent to your cell phone: https://textalert.ema.dc.gov/register.php
Office of Community Outreach
Metropolitan Police Department
Have you heard the knock at your door?
U.S. Census workers are here to assist you with filling out the 2010 Census Form.