RE: [MPD-5D] More shots at First and Q, NW

  • Scott Shappell
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 18, 2005
      It has been 48 hours since I posted this question on this list-serve and I
      have not recieved a response.

      Please respond as quickly as possible.

      Thanks.

      Scott Shappell
      www.truxtoncircle.org

    • car5060@aol.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 18, 2005
        YOU RIGHT THE POLICE HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DUE THEN RESPOND TO YOUR E. MAIL WITH IN SECONDS. THEY SHOULD REALLY ASSIGN SOMEONE TO LOOK AT YOUR LITTLE WEB PAGE TWENTY-FOUR HOURS A DAY SEVEN DAYS A WEEK. I MEAN THEY DON'T HAVE PEOPLE BEING KILLED DALY OR OPEN ARE DRUG MARKETS. THEY DON'T HAVE ANY RAPES OR ROBBERIES NOT TO MENTION THEY DON'T THOUSANDS OF CALLS FOR SERVICE. WHO DO THEY THINK THEY ARE?
      • James T. Engelhardt
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 18, 2005
          Actually car5060@...,  though your message was clearly sarcastic, I think you're on to something.

          I think it would help if a MPD staffmember was specifically assigned to communicate with an open forum like this.  It could be a rich two-way source of communication.

          Of course it shouldn't be the only forum for dialogue between MPD 5D and its citizens, but it would make the citizens who use this forum feel better and more informed, and it is also a great avenue to provide detailed information to the police.

          I applaud MPD 5D for participating in this, and I encourage you to assign a staffmember or "electronic spokesperson" whose job it is to respond, rather than making it a stress on MPD 5D officers and leaders who have plenty of other things to do every day.

          car5060@... wrote:
          YOU RIGHT THE POLICE HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DUE THEN RESPOND TO YOUR E. MAIL WITH IN SECONDS. THEY SHOULD REALLY ASSIGN SOMEONE TO LOOK AT YOUR LITTLE WEB PAGE TWENTY-FOUR HOURS A DAY SEVEN DAYS A WEEK. I MEAN THEY DON'T HAVE PEOPLE BEING KILLED DALY OR OPEN ARE DRUG MARKETS. THEY DON'T HAVE ANY RAPES OR ROBBERIES NOT TO MENTION THEY DON'T THOUSANDS OF CALLS FOR SERVICE. WHO DO THEY THINK THEY ARE?

        • Matthew Fineout
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 18, 2005
            Participating in the list-serv is time consuming, and I'm sure we're
            ALL busy enough that we might not always want to spend the time to do
            it. But it is for a purpose and it can be a useful tool.

            Messages like this one, sarcastic, unproductive, and unnecessarily
            confrontational, make it difficult to read (especially written in all
            caps) and participate, and work toward good communication and public
            safety.

          • car5060@aol.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 18, 2005
              I was a bit smart, however you should call 5-d ask for the Sgt.'s or the LT. who patrol your PSA. Get to know them invite them over for a cup of coffee et. A good police official will get to know the needs of the community. They will answer the phone and tell you what's going on. Believe it or not some can actually use a computer on a good day.
            • Greene, Jennifer (MPD)
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 18, 2005
                In reference to the shots fired at 1st and Q Street. There were 6 to 13 calls for sounds of gunshots on November 13 and November 15, 2005. The police responded and nothing was found or reported.

                This Fifth District Listserv is monitored by 5D captains, PSA lieutenants and myself, when we are available. The captains and lieutenants respond to concerns that happen within their geographical areas. This method of responding to the listserv concerns is best as the responders should be familiar with the crime in their areas. However, this does not allow for the listserv to be monitored daily.

                I have viewed the continuous dialogue regarding our response to this listserv and have a suggestion. The MPD has actively been recruiting reserve officers. Some of the citizens who monitor this listserv closely may want to considered becoming a 5D reserve officer. I would certainly welcome any citizen who would like to become a reserve officer and are computer savvy to assist us in responding to this listserv. Anyone who is interested may call my office on 202.698.0111.

                Thanks...Commander Greene

                It has been 48 hours since I posted this question on this list-serve and I
                have not recieved a response.

                Please respond as quickly as possible.

                Thanks.

                Scott Shappell
                www.truxtoncircle.org

                >From: "Scott Shappell" <scottshappell@...>
                >To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
                >CC: vorange@..., lcropp@...,
                >schwartzc@..., dcatania@...,
                >pmendelson@..., kbrown@...
                >Subject: [MPD-5D] More shots at First and Q, NW
                >Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 10:18:06 -0500
                >
                >Can you give us any information.
                >
                >I was not home...but received several calls from neighbors...and had the
                >pleasure of being escorted behind the police tape to get into my house.
                >
                >I understand it was 11 shots...and that a car careened into the house at
                >the
                >corner. Was anyone hurt?
                >
                >Scott Shappell
                >www.truxtoncircle.org

              • Alan Thompson
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 20, 2005
                  I'm assuming that you're asking me - We've lived here
                  for eight months, having just moved back to DC after
                  living on the west coast for the past eight years.

                  --alan

                  --- car5060@... wrote:

                  > How long have you lived in the area?

                  __________________________________
                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Matthew Fineout
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 21, 2005
                    The second part of Mr. Shappell's message asked about a car accident
                    that same night. Is there anything residents should know regarding that
                    incident? Did the call for service on that coincide with the calls for
                    service on the "sounds of" gunshots?

                    --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Greene, Jennifer \(MPD\)"
                    <jennifer.greene@d...> wrote:

                    > In reference to the shots fired at 1st and Q Street. There were 6 to
                    13 calls for sounds of gunshots on November 13 and November 15, 2005.
                    The police responded and nothing was found or reported.

                  • Matthew Fineout
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 21, 2005
                      Whatever happened to the 5-D community outreach coordinator? Miss
                      Yvonne Smith won a VERY significant award for her work at 5-D. I
                      believe she won this award not only because she did a FANTASTIC job
                      (which she did!) but because the job was so useful and important to
                      community safety. Miss Yvonne can never be replaced, but for the sake
                      of continuing the progress we were making (with her help), it seems
                      we should try. I thought that monitoring this group and ensuring its
                      effectiveness were part of the responsibility of that position. Is
                      there anything we can do to help get a community outreach coordinator
                      again?

                      <jennifer.greene@d...> wrote:

                      > This Fifth District Listserv is monitored by 5D captains, PSA
                      lieutenants and myself, when we are available. The captains and
                      lieutenants respond to concerns that happen within their geographical
                      areas. This method of responding to the listserv concerns is best as
                      the responders should be familiar with the crime in their areas.
                      However, this does not allow for the listserv to be monitored daily.

                      > I have viewed the continuous dialogue regarding our response to
                      this listserv and have a suggestion. The MPD has actively been
                      recruiting reserve officers. Some of the citizens who monitor this
                      listserv closely may want to considered becoming a 5D reserve
                      officer. I would certainly welcome any citizen who would like to
                      become a reserve officer and are computer savvy to assist us in
                      responding to this listserv. Anyone who is interested may call my
                      office on 202.698.0111.

                      > Thanks...Commander Greene
                    • Paul Meyers
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 21, 2005
                        was that sacastic remark made from a police officer?  If so, that is extremely disturbing.  It is good to know that our high tax dollars are being so well spent.

                        Matthew Fineout <mattwich@...> wrote:
                        Participating in the list-serv is time consuming, and I'm sure we're
                        ALL busy enough that we might not always want to spend the time to do
                        it. But it is for a purpose and it can be a useful tool.

                        Messages like this one, sarcastic, unproductive, and unnecessarily
                        confrontational, make it difficult to read (especially written in all
                        caps) and participate, and work toward good communication and public
                        safety.

                        --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, car5060@a... wrote:

                        > YOU RIGHT THE POLICE HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DUE THEN RESPOND TO
                        YOUR E.  MAIL
                        > WITH IN SECONDS. THEY SHOULD REALLY ASSIGN SOMEONE TO LOOK AT  YOUR
                        LITTLE
                        > WEB PAGE TWENTY-FOUR HOURS A DAY SEVEN DAYS A WEEK. I MEAN THEY
                        DON'T HAVE
                        > PEOPLE BEING KILLED DALY OR OPEN ARE DRUG MARKETS. THEY DON'T  HAVE
                        ANY RAPES OR
                        > ROBBERIES NOT TO MENTION THEY DON'T THOUSANDS OF CALLS  FOR
                        SERVICE. WHO DO
                        > THEY THINK THEY  ARE?

                      • Greene, Jennifer (MPD)
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 21, 2005

                          To all who monitor or post on this listserv:

                          Let me assure everyone that whoever is using cr5060; they are not a police officer.  They have previously identified themselves as a citizen in the community on this listserv.  Also let me remind everyone this is an informational listserv, not for personal attacks, sarcastic remarks or belittling the comments, community work or Police Department. Thanks for your cooperation.

                          Commander Greene