Shooting at 12th and Hamlin--Any Arrests?

  • Erin Hutson
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30, 2010
      I was wondering if anyone has been arrested in the shooting that occurred at the corner of 12th and Hamlin?

      Also, does anyone know the status of the Building owned by Mr. Stancil with the bail bonds sign on it?  The vacancy on that corner leads to frequent drug dealing activity which may or may not be a factor in this crime according the neighbors in the area.

      Erin on 12th

      On Wednesday, April 28, 2010, at approximately 2359 hours, Cruiser 5022 was
      dispatched to the 2900 block of 12th Street, Northeast, Washington, DC (WDC) for
      a shooting. Upon arrival the officer located a male subject suffering from
      several small caliber gunshot wounds. The subject supplied little info as to
      what occurred, if anyone has information relative to this incident please call
      202-727-9099 immediately, we need as much information as possible.
      Commander Lamar D. Greene
    • Greene, Lamar (MPD)
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 30, 2010
        No arrests yet detectives are working the case for leads, I will keep you informed. If anyone has information please call 202 727 9099
        Commander Lamar D. Greene

        Are you making DC Count? You still have time to make a difference for your community.

        Be sure to fill out and mail back your 2010 Census Form.

         www.census.dc.gov or for additional assistance call 1-866-872-6868.

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 30, 2010
          Is there anything that can be done to take down that "Bail Bonds" sign?  Nothing of that nature occurs in that building.

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 30, 2010
            Dear MPD listserv friends, although vacant properties are not a police issue, we all know vacant properties contribute to crime in our area. Hopefully this message will be approved by the moderator to be posted. I posted the below email on the Eckington listserv on how we can abate our community of vacant buildings, and build a liveable and safe community. Mayor Fenty has proposed an increase to vacant property taxes, and at the bottom of the email is a sample letter I recently sent to the D.C. Council, urging their support to bring legislation forward that will help communities abate vacant buildings that cast blight and provide venues for criminals to operate. Have a great weekend and best regards, Steven in Eckington

            Dear Eckington Neighbors,

            We've all seen the success we can make in urging the DCRA to take action against vacant and blighted buildings. Most recently we were able to speak as a community to get action taken against 329 Rhode Island Ave NE. There are several resources available to us, to help bring these buildings to DCRA's attention. You can visit DCRA's website to learn more about the laws by visiting:

            To complain about a specific address, you can send an email to: vacantproperty@...

            Further, Mayor Fenty announced increases to punitive taxes levied against vacant building owners. I sent the below to the Council Members, voicing my support, and hope you will take a moment to do the same... If we get all of these buildings occupied, our community will become more safe, and who knows, maybe businesses will come to our neck of the woods, since there will be plenty of customers to service! :)

            Dear D.C. Councilmembers, and key Committee on Public Services and Consumer Affairs Staffers,

            On 23APR10, Mayor Fenty announced plans to increase vacant property fees, and I hope you'll support his efforts. (http://washington.bizjournals.com/washington/stories/2010/04/26/story1.html?b=1272254400^3237551)

            Ward 5 has many vacant properties scattered throughout our neighborhoods, none of which benefit our community. Instead, vacant properties offer venues for drug dealers, hookers, and other law-breakers to set up shop and further hold our community back from economic development and negatively impact our public safety.

            In March, we saw the Safeway @ 4th and Rhode Island Ave NE pack-up and leave. Had many of the buildings around the Safeway been occupied (instead of boarded up and abandoned), perhaps the Safeway would have had more customers shopping in their store and the store might not have left.

            Negligent building owners gotten away with polluting our neighborhoods with their boarded up, burned out buildings for long enough. Supporting the Mayors plan will generate much needed revenue for our cash strapped city, and will encourage negligent owners to sell, or re-hab and occupy the structures that hold our city back from flourishing. Yes, the increased rates will put a burden on the owners, and if the building owners decide to walk away from the tax burden, then the building will be sold on the tax sale list to developers who will turn the buildings into productive contributors to our neighborhoods. It's a win win for the D.C. Government to generate revenue and for our communities that are begging for help to rid our streets of vacant, blighted properties.

            I hope each of you will join Mayor Fenty in supporting this vacant property tax increase.

            Best regards,

            Steven

[...]

          • Smith, Yvonne (MPD)
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 30, 2010
              Thanks Steven,

              Also, this group can also assist with addressing the sign. http://www.mocrs.dc.gov/ocrs/cwp/view,a,3,q,572799.asp

              And you are correct, these kinds of nuisance issues are directly related to the quality of life in a neighborhood and public safety. This is a handout from 2005 that Truxton Circle posted on their site when I was outreach coordinator at 5D. The information is still useful, except you dial 3-1-1 instead of 727-1000 to report this info.
              http://www.truxtoncircle.org/docs.php?view=doc&id=do19

              Thanks