Re: [MPD-5D] Thomas Redirects $3 Million to Shops at Dakota Crossing

  • Detria Hutchinson
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 29, 2010
      Please take your campaigning somewhere else.  Yes, we all know that libraries are important.  Job creation is also important.  We want jobs in our neighborhoods.  We want retail in our neighborhoods, so that we do not have to always go to other people's neighborhoods to shop.  Without the businesses there are no jobs, which then contributes  to the criminal activities that we all abhor.  Moreover, I have no idea why you would think so very little of the residents of Ward 5 to express such vitriolic beliefs that Ward 5 residents  can not and will not qualify for jobs in the retail and service industry.  Our residents have certainly qualified for such jobs throughout other parts of the city and for proximity sake, the Home Depot and Giant located currently located in Ward 5.

      I agree we need libraries.  However remember, if people remain unemployed there is no tax base to pay for library buildings, books and personnel.  Until we can provide the funding for the libraries, people will have to actually go to school and read the books in school and the school libraries.

      Thank you for your time and attention.

      From: DB <brookland.nedc@ yahoo.com>
      Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 13:02:55 -0700 (PDT)
      To: <Brookland@yahoogrou ps.com>; <Eckington@yahoogrou ps.com>; <EdgewoodDC@yahoogro ups.com>; <ward5@yahoogroups. com>; <BrooklandGLBT@ yahoogroups. com>; <MPD-5D@yahoogroups. com>; <MPD-4D@yahoogroups. com>

      For Immediate Release
      April 28, 2010
      Contact:  Victoria A. Leonard
      202.727.8204 (desk) -- 202.403.7866 (cell)
      vleonard@dccouncil. us

      Thomas Redirection of $3 Million to Shops at Dakota Crossing Bolsters
      Project's Momentum to Attract Anchor Tenants

      Washington, DC - Ward 5 Councilmember Harry "Tommy" Thomas, Jr. announced today that he has redirected $3 million from the DC Public Library's capital budget to fund the storm water management ponds needed to move the Shops at Dakota Crossing project forward. The $3 million, from a Ward 7 project not slated to begin construction until next year, is to be repaid to DCPL in 2011. Library services in Ward 5 are not adversely impacted by the redirection of funds.

      The Shops at Dakota Crossing, to be located on a 42-acre site at South Dakota and New York Avenues, NE, will include 375,000 square feet of retail. Costco has signed a letter of intent with Fort Lincoln New Town Corp. and Trammell Crow Co., the development team for the project. Other retailers that have expressed interest in the site include Target, Shoppers Food Warehouse and Staples.

      In addition to the $3 million Councilmember Thomas re-directed to fund the storm water management ponds, the District is also likely to increase the project's tax increment financing note from $10 million to $15 million. With tax revenue from Shops at Dakota Crossing expected to total $7 million annually, the financing note should be repaid within three years.

      "The Shops at Dakota Crossing has been on the books for nearly a decade," said Councilmember Thomas. "I am pleased to do my part to move this project forward and bring quality retail to Ward 5."

      officialphoto.JPGHarry "Tommy" Thomas, Jr. represents Ward 5 on the Council of the District of Columbia. Thomas chairs the Council's Committee on Libraries, Parks, and Recreation. He sits on four additional committees: Workforce Development and the Environment, Aging and Community Affairs, Housing and Workforce Development, and Public Services and Consumer Affairs.

      Office of Ward 5
      Councilmember Harry "Tommy" Thomas, Jr.
      Wilson Building - Room 107
      1350 Pennsylvania Ave., NW
      Washington DC  20004

       Tel: /font> 202/724-8028  -  Fax: 202/724-8076
      Email: hthomas@dccouncil. us

      span class="yshortcuts" id="lw_1267622014_ 0" style="outline- style: none;border- bottom: 1px dashed rgb(0, 102, 204);background- attachment: scroll;background- color: transparent; cursor: pointer;">