Councilmember Thomas Mourns Passing Of Dr. Dorothy Height

  • DB
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 20, 2010

      For Immediate Release
      April 20, 2010
      Contact: Victoria A. Leonard
      202.727.8204 (desk) -- 202.403.7866 (cell)
      vleonard@...

      Ward 5 Councilmember Thomas Mourns Passing Of Civil Rights Activist
      Dr. Dorothy Height

      Washington, DC - Ward 5 Councilmember Harry "Tommy" Thomas, Jr. joins with others across the city and nation in mourning the passing of renowned civil rights activist Dr. Dorothy Height. Councilmember Thomas issued the following statement regarding the death of Dr. Height:

      "The District of Columbia and the nation have lost an icon in the passing of Dr. Dorothy Height. For nearly half a century, Dr. Height has given leadership to the struggle for equality and human rights for all people. Her life exemplified her passionate commitment for a just society and her vision of a better world.

      "Through my parents, who were long-time civic activists, I had the opportunity to meet Dr. Height during my formative years. She was one of my role models, and I will miss her.

      As a member of the Council of the District of Columbia, I have been able to officially recognize Dr. Height's brilliant life and legacy. On September 23, 2009, my colleagues and I honored Dr. Height with a resolution celebrating her lifetime achievements. Today, we reiterated our appreciation for her work with a "Sense of the Council on Honoring the Life and Legacy of Dr. Dorothy I. Height Resolution of 2010."

      "My condolences go out to Dr. Height's family, the nation, and this world, which she made better for all of us."

      dorothy_height
      Dr. Dorothy Height

      Office of Councilmember
      Harry "Tommy" Thomas, Jr.