Nuisance Issues

  • dachare
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 6 7:46 PM
      We have had a number of nuisance issues in our neighborhood lately. Everything from cars speeding through the neighborhood repeatedly to individuals racing ATVs/motorcycles through residential streets/alleys to not-so-bright people thinking that 1 AM on a weekday is a good time to conduct construction that can be heard a block or more away to disruptive individuals late at night. We have tried to call 311 to report these issues, as they are not exactly emergencies, but they have always transferred us to 911 operators. Is 911 the best way to report these issues, or is there some better way to address them? I have called 5D directly in the past for issues that were more inquiries, and they have expressed that they cannot dispatch directly, so I know that's not the way to go. We know that we can't just let these issues slide...if we let them go we give the impression that "anything goes" in the area, but we kind of feel like we're wasting emergency resources on something that could be dealt with by the officer on patrol in our neighborhood.

      I do want to give a big THANK YOU to our 5D officers on these issues, as we have ALWAYS seen a patrol in the area within minutes, if not seconds, of reporting these issues.
    • dccop58@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 7 12:16 AM
        A while back, DC changed its call system. If you need the police to respond, whether it's an emergency or not, call 911. 311 is now the Mayor's Command Center line, for calls not related to police service (abandoned vehicles, trash on public space, potholes, streetlight repair requests, etc.).

        Noise complaints and aggressive driver calls are not a waste of resources. That officer on the beat can't be everywhere at all times, so your calls helps him/her know where to be and when. Be as detailed as possible when you describe the vehicle or subject causing the nuisance.