Yet Another Homicide Near Turkey Thicket

  • Toby Susse
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 7, 2005
      Message
      Commanders Burton & Greene:

      During an Orange Hat walk last night, I learned there was yet another homicide in the Turkey Thicket area.  This one was on Puerto Rico Avenue in PSA 405 over the weekend.  This is in addition to the homicide in August on the 3900 block of 7th St. NE and the one in October on the 3900 block of 10th St. NE, both in PSA 502.

      Can you please let us know whatever details are available concerning this third homicide?  What is the status of the investigations of the two previous homicides and what is being done to prevent crime in this area, especially a fourth homicide?

      Each of these homicides are within three blocks of the border line of Taylor St. NE between the 4th and 5th Districts.  I have been deeply concerned that there is a serious lack of coordination between the two districts ever since the homicide in August just south of the border.  Now, sadly but not unforeseen, a homicide has occurred on the north side of the border.  I have participated in Orange Hat walks with officers in both PSA 405 and PSA 502, and it has been quite apparent that the officers are given little, if any, information about crime issues just over the border from their respective districts.

      With these homicides, plus the drug market around Turkey Thicket and the up-coming opening of the Turkey Thicket Recreation Center (just south of the border), we need greater coordination between the 4th and 5th Districts.  Any community meetings, action plans, "hot spot" patrolling, prevention strategies, etc. addressing the crime problems in and around Turkey Thicket need to include officials and patrol officers from both the 4th and 5th Districts so that everyone is on the same page and working together.

      Please advise what steps have and/or will be taken to increase the coordination between the two districts with regards to preventing further crime and bloodshed around Turkey Thicket.

      Thank you.

      Toby Susse
      PSA 405 resident just north of the border