Re: 2500 block of 10th St NE

  • Sonya Harway
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 4, 2005
      Well, since no one from MPD appears to want to address any questions these days, I will
      post what I know in response to Jen's question. Last March, Sgt. Brown suggested setting
      up a substation in the apartment buildings. He continued to talk about this substation for
      several months without any tangible progress, until some neighbors and I attended a CAC
      meeting with Commander Greene (I believe it was in May). We asked Commander Greene
      about this substation and the progress, and she informed us that the police chief does not
      allow the formation of permanent substations inside buildings like this, but rather that
      MPD prefers temporary outdoor "mini-stations," which basically means that police officers
      set up a table or something outside to increase police visibility and show residents that
      there is increased surveillance. I don't know if during that time, police would be checking
      IDs or running license plates, and I certainly am not the expert on this, but it does seem
      like a valuable endeavor.

      So then why haven't we had any ministations? We did have the light tower one night over
      the summer, but we need it again and often. We need ministations, we need the foot beat
      we've been promised, and we need continued support in this area. I know that PSA502 is a
      big one, but the behavior in this area has become frighteningly aggressive lately, to say
      the least. Let's please take some action before the next shooting happens outside my
      window again.

      In addition, I want to continue the plea for police officers to address the questions and
      concerns aired on this list. If you are not answering specific questions or posting crime
      stats, why even bother? I can gossip with my neighbors and get about as much
      information as we've been getting on the listserv lately.

      -Sonya Harway
      (10th and Douglas)

      --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "baringlake" <baringlake@y...> wrote:

      > I wanted to drop a line because earlier in the year there was some
      > discussion about the police turning an apartment in one of the
      > buildings in the 2500 block of 10th St NE into a substation, to try to
      > combat the drug dealing, prostitution and related crimes (shootings
      > and some murders in the past year) there. I just wanted to alert you
      > that a "for rent" is now up in front of one of the two connected
      > apartment buildings.
      >
      > The drug dealing is still going on, and I'm sad to say that there are
      > plenty of "RIP" graffiti markings on the side of the building. It
      > would be great if we could establish a permanent police presence
      > there, as the police discussed earlier this year.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Jen

    • Peter Katel
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 4, 2005
        I haven't been on this listserv long, but long enough to notice what
        Ms. Harway is writing about. I read report after report from citizens,
        with virtually no response from MPD. Networking through the
        neighborhood is a good thing, but that was only part of the reason this
        listserv was set up. Or so I thought.

        Peter Katel

      • baringlake
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 5, 2005
          I agree. Is anyone in the police station reading these posts? I can't
          always make it to the PSA meetings b/c my job can run late, so I was
          excited when this list-serve was set up. I thought it would a great
          way to communicate with the police. But I really am not sure anymore
          who, if anyone, monitors this list.
          A concerned citizen,
          Jen

          --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, Peter Katel <p.katel@v...> wrote:

> [...]
          alert you
          > > > that a "for rent" is now up in front of one of the two connected
          > > > apartment buildings.
          > > >
          > > > The drug dealing is still going on, and I'm sad to say that there
          > > are
          > > > plenty of "RIP" graffiti markings on the side of the building. It
          > > > would be great if we could establish a permanent police presence
          > > > there, as the police discussed earlier this year.
          > > >
          > > > Thanks,
          > > > Jen

          > > Law enforcement
          > > Police department
          > > Fifth
          > > Crime scene investigation
          > > Law enforcement career
          > >
          > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
          > >
          > > ▪  Visit your group "MPD-5D" on the web.
          > > ▪  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
          > > ▪  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of

        • Medoro, Anthony (MPD)
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 6, 2005
            Yes, the list serve posts are read by MPD. If possible I would recommend attending the monthly PSA meetings. If you would like info regarding these meeings please contact myself or other members of the community who attend regularly.

            Lt. Medoro

            ________________________________

> [...]

            > > > that a "for rent" is now up in front of one of the two connected
            > > > apartment buildings.
            > > >
            > > > The drug dealing is still going on, and I'm sad to say that there
            > > are
            > > > plenty of "RIP" graffiti markings on the side of the building. It
            > > > would be great if we could establish a permanent police presence
            > > > there, as the police discussed earlier this year.
            > > >
            > > > Thanks,
            > > > Jen

            > > Law enforcement
            > > Police department
            > > Fifth
            > > Crime scene investigation
            > > Law enforcement career
            > >
            > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
            > >
            > > â-ª Â Visit your group "MPD-5D" on the web.
            > > â-ª Â To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
            > > â-ª Â Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • kimberly Niono
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 7, 2005
              I can say that I haven't been able to attend the meetings because of my job as well.  However, I have been in contact with Francine Edmonds of the mayor's neighborhood services center and Lt. Melvin Scott of MPD. After constant communication, we were able to get some much needed attention to our neighborhood.  Maybe you should try that.

              Yahoo! Groups Links