Re: [MPD-5D] Community Programs Proven Effective

  • khenderson029@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 3 8:34 AM
      Geovani:

      I am glad you are interested in working to improve the public safety of your community. There are many steps that you and your neighbors can participate in to help make your community a better place to live. I encourage you to start by attending your PSA meeting and participating in safety walks with your neighbors, police and Guardian Angels community partners.

      The police are doing an excellent job of arresting individuals, underscoring 9,556 arrests in Ward 5 during the past year. The police cannot do it all and we must do our part to help protect our communities. I encourage you to attend the Court Watch meeting at the Fifth District this evening at 6:30 p.m. to help close the door on repeat offenders, which is a significant problem in our communities. Tonight we will discuss the conditions of release process with the Deputy Director of Pretrial Services, Cliff Keenan. We need to understand the process to close the door on repeat offenders that continually drain police resources and our quality of life. I look forward to seeing you this evening.

      Kathy Henderson

      In a message dated 3/3/2010 4:55:24 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, Mrgeovani@... writes:

      Dear Group Members, I would like to hear from other MPD-5D residents that have participated in or implemented effective neighborhood programs to reduce crime in our neighborhoods.

      As a resident in the unit block of P ST NW (Bates Area Civic Association) for over 6 years now, I was alarmed to see an increase in crime in our area in the fall of 2009. The spike in crime has been mostly, assaults with deadly weapon or force, thefts from auto, and simple assult.

      I would like to hear from other communities that have helped MDP-5D become the best performing police department in The District. I would also like to hear from MPD as to what programs, resources, or workshops may be available to residents wanting to make a difference and be involved.

      Thank you,

      Geovani
      Unit Block of P ST NW