RE: [MPD-5D] Re: Visitors Parking Pass

  • Harold Houston III
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 2, 2010
      Yes, you can get a Visitor Parking Pass; however, that still does not prevent you from getting the tickets as it seems that the DMV officers do not pay attention to the passes.

      -- Sent from my Palm Prē

      Trey Houston

      On Mar 2, 2010 9:05 PM, Thembi Butler <thembi.butler@...> wrote:

      Aren’t there two varieties of ticket here?  One for parking in an RPP zone with no RPP, and the other, a failure to register an out of state vehicle?

      According to the DMV site, you can get a permit for a rental car for up to 15 days.  http://dmv.dc. gov/serv/ parking/resident _rental_car. shtm

      Thembi Butler

      Metaformers, Inc.

      2010 Corporate Ridge Suite 850, McLean , VA 22102

      Mobile 202.431.1169| Phone 703.288.4620 | Fax 877.870.5066

      Thembi.Butler@ metaformers. com

      Evaluate. Innovate. Deliver | www.metaformers. com

      Confidentiality Notice

      The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments to this message are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain confidential or privileged information.   If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender at Metaformers immediately and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments.

      Metaformers is an Oracle Certified Partner

      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 3, 2010
        If it is determined that DPW parking enforcement wrote these tickets, please have your ANC contact the DPW ANC liaison, or contact Kevin Twine to have referred to appropriate DPW management person to discuss this matter.  Remember, due to snow storms, they are behind in writing tickets.  Sometimes parking officers are "over zealous" in writing tickets.  Gigi

      • khenderson029@aol.com
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 3, 2010
          Ticket writing is the one service DPW provides that works. The parking enforcement efforts in my community are helping to deter persons that live elsewhere (mainly other states) from coming into my neighborhood and drinking, drugging and taking parking spaces my neighbors and I are entitled to use because we pay for the privilege. Ticket-writing appears to be equally aggressive in all wards. I too have received the occasional parking ticket even though I had a visible visitor's pass on the dash board of my rental car. If you receive a ticket under these circumstances, just contest the ticket by mail by including a photocopy of the visitor's pass and the ticket number. You can also contest the ticket in person and it will be dismissed.

          Finally, DPW needs to improve trash collection, leaf collection, bulk collection and public receptacle collection immediately here in Ward 5 to help thwart criminal enterprise. Criminals prefer to operate in neighborhoods that are strewn with refuse because it sends a loud signal that the community will not fight back. No drug dealer would dare openly sell on a clean street with flowers in the tree boxes and yards. How about sanitation enforcement efforts that match parking ticket-writing efforts? How about regular trash collection, bulk collection and leaf collection services here that are comparable to Ward 3, 6, 2 and parts of Wards 1 and 4? How about equitable service delivery for all wards? The police have to work harder in areas that are overrun with refuse and it is not fair to them or us.

          Kathy Henderson

        • tracey.williams1713@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 4, 2010
            Hi Ms Ransom ... I live on West Virginia Ave and have had this same problem for some time now where my friend who has MD tags visits me overnight for the weekend and either gets ticketed or warning tickets for not displaying DC tags. I have obtained the 15 day permits from 5D and he has still been ticketed with the permit displayed in his window. I cannot understand why taxpaying DC residents cannot have visitors overnight without being harrassed by parking enforcement. I also know that this does not happen in some other areas of the city. Please tell me what type of permit I need to get so that this can stop. Thank you

            Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

            From: Gigi Ransom <gigir1829@...>
            Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 04:52:17 -0800 (PST)
            To: <MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com>

            If it is determined that DPW parking enforcement wrote these tickets, please have your ANC contact the DPW ANC liaison, or contact Kevin Twine to have referred to appropriate DPW management person to discuss this matter.  Remember, due to snow storms, they are behind in writing tickets.  Sometimes parking officers are "over zealous" in writing tickets.  Gigi

            I now have a rental car and is afraid that I may get a ticket. Do I need to obtain a Visitor's Parking permit even though I live on Queen Street ? I will only have it for 2 days; thanks to a neighbor sliding into my car in the blizzard.

            --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups. com, TreyH@... wrote:

            > Hello,
            >
            > Does the Visitors Parking Permit mean anything to the Officers? The
            > reason I ask is because there was an attempted theft on my car recently and I am
            > currently using a rental car with VA tags until it is repaired. I did not
            > want to get a ticket, so I obtained a Visitors Parking Permit from 5D. I
            > have received two tickets (Fail to secure DC Tags/Recipro) since 2/16/10
            > and I am wondering why; the permit doesn't expire until 3/2/10. Fighting
            > these tickets are very inconvenient, especially since my understanding is that
            > I should not be receiving these tickets. Is there someone that can
            > explain this to me? Thank you.
            >

            > Trey
            > On Holbrook Street, NE

          • Diedra Prophet
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 5, 2010
              Hello

              You can look up at the DMV service location on C Street what they call a Rosa Exemption (stands for registration of out of state automobiles). Hope this helps

              From: Gigi Ransom <gigir1829@yahoo. com>
              Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 04:52:17 -0800 (PST)
              To: <MPD-5D@yahoogroups. com>

            • khenderson029@aol.com
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 5, 2010
                Your friend needs a ROSA permit. He can take the warning ticket and proof of his Maryland address to DMV and they will complete the process. After this, he should not get another ticket.

                Kathy Henderson

                From: tracey.williams1713@...
                Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 04:03:06 +0000
                To: <MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com>

                From: Gigi Ransom <gigir1829@yahoo. com>
                Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 04:52:17 -0800 (PST)
                To: <MPD-5D@yahoogroups. com>

                If it is determined that DPW parking enforcement wrote these tickets, please have your ANC contact the DPW ANC liaison, or contact Kevin Twine to have referred to appropriate DPW management person to discuss this matter.  Remember, due to snow storms, they are behind in writing tickets.  Sometimes parking officers are "over zealous" in writing tickets.  Gigi

                I now have a rental car and is afraid that I may get a ticket. Do I need to obtain a Visitor's Parking permit even though I live on Queen Street ? I will only have it for 2 days; thanks to a neighbor sliding into my car in the blizzard.

                --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups. com, TreyH@... wrote:

                > Hello,
                >
                > Does the Visitors Parking Permit mean anything to the Officers? The
                > reason I ask is because there was an attempted theft on my car recently and I am
                > currently using a rental car with VA tags until it is repaired. I did not
                > want to get a ticket, so I obtained a Visitors Parking Permit from 5D. I
                > have received two tickets (Fail to secure DC Tags/Recipro) since 2/16/10
                > and I am wondering why; the permit doesn't expire until 3/2/10. Fighting
                > these tickets are very inconvenient, especially since my understanding is that
                > I should not be receiving these tickets. Is there someone that can
                > explain this to me? Thank you.
                >

                > Trey
                > On Holbrook Street, NE

              • Gigi Ransom
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 5, 2010
                  Ms. Williams, I really would like to have a clear solution for this problem, but I don't.  The problem is when Enforcement patrols in the cars/vans with the cameras recording parked cars tag #s, it can't tell the difference and see that there is a visitor's permit in the front window.  The tag# goes into the ROSA computer system, when scanned again or when enforcement/police on duty checking cars, ticket is issued if tag# shows up.  It is an unfair, time-consuming and loss of wages to address in traffic court.  This is a problem all over.
                  Don't know if CM Thomas is on the Public Works committee.  I want to raise this issue at my ANC meeting next week and see if we can pass a resolution to look into this.  Don't know who your ANC commissioner is. If you know, send email about the problem.  If you don't know, call Board of Elections, 202/727-2255, give address, and they will tell you who is.  By the way, CM Thomas is holding his annual Ward 5Expo tomorrow at Galludet U, starts at 8:30am,  I plan on raising this question there.  You might want to attend.  Gigi Ransom 202/529-0508

                  From: Gigi Ransom <gigir1829@yahoo. com>
                  Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 04:52:17 -0800 (PST)
                  To: <MPD-5D@yahoogroups. com>

                  If it is determined that DPW parking enforcement wrote these tickets, please have your ANC contact the DPW ANC liaison, or contact Kevin Twine to have referred to appropriate DPW management person to discuss this matter.  Remember, due to snow storms, they are behind in writing tickets.  Sometimes parking officers are "over zealous" in writing tickets.  Gigi

                  I now have a rental car and is afraid that I may get a ticket. Do I need to obtain a Visitor's Parking permit even though I live on Queen Street ? I will only have it for 2 days; thanks to a neighbor sliding into my car in the blizzard.

                  --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups. com, TreyH@... wrote:

                  > Hello,
                  >
                  > Does the Visitors Parking Permit mean anything to the Officers? The
                  > reason I ask is because there was an attempted theft on my car recently and I am
                  > currently using a rental car with VA tags until it is repaired. I did not
                  > want to get a ticket, so I obtained a Visitors Parking Permit from 5D. I
                  > have received two tickets (Fail to secure DC Tags/Recipro) since 2/16/10
                  > and I am wondering why; the permit doesn't expire until 3/2/10. Fighting
                  > these tickets are very inconvenient, especially since my understanding is that
                  > I should not be receiving these tickets. Is there someone that can
                  > explain this to me? Thank you.
                  >

                  > Trey
                  > On Holbrook Street, NE

                • James Petty Sr
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 6, 2010
                    How is that these people have so much trouble with parking in these communitys when I have residents who live in my area for five years and have out of state tags and will not change their tags to DC.

                    To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
                    From: khenderson029@...
                    Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 14:06:51 +0000

                    Your friend needs a ROSA permit. He can take the warning ticket and proof of his Maryland address to DMV and they will complete the process. After this, he should not get another ticket.

                    Kathy Henderson
                    Sent on the SprintR Now Network from my BlackBerryR

                    From: tracey.williams1713@...
                    Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 04:03:06 +0000
                    To: <MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com>

                    From: Gigi Ransom <gigir1829@...>
                    Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 04:52:17 -0800 (PST)
                    To: <MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com>

                    http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/201469229/direct/01/
                  • khenderson029@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 6, 2010
                      Parking enforcement is largely driven by complaints. Once your community is on the radar they will follow up. The follow up often appears to be selective enforcement. My community has benefited from the enforcement. Going forward, I would like to see a more systematic approach to enforcement that enhances the public's perception of fairness.

                      Kathy Henderson

                      From: James Petty Sr <pettybone@...>
                      Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2010 06:55:30
                      To: <mpd-5d@yahoogroups.com>