Daytime Residential Street Sweeping Resumes Mar. 22, Ticketing Begins Mar. 29

  • Twine, Kevin (DPW)
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2010

      On Monday, March 22, 2010, daytime mechanical street sweeping will resume in scheduled residential neighborhoods where signs are posted indicating that this will take place.  Now that the snow has melted, there’s now quite a bit of litter and debris in certain areas. Residents are again reminded to observe the street cleaning signs so our sweepers can resume cleaning residential streets.  Alternate-side parking restrictions in these areas will go into effect as well. Parking tickets, which carry a $30 fine, will be issued, beginning March 29, to vehicles parked during street sweeping hours in areas posted with “No Parking/Street Cleaning” signs. Beginning March 29, parked cars also may be towed to allow the sweepers access to the curbside. Generally, parking is prohibited for two hours while sweeping is underway.

      DPW street sweepers cover about 4,000 lane miles monthly, removing litter and pollutants. The sweeper also emits a fine spray of water to help control dust. Street sweeping is suspended during winter as the sprayed water can freeze and become ice on the street.  DPW also sweeps commercial corridors year-round.  For more information about DPW’s street sweeping program, visit www.dpw.dc.gov.

      I am aware that when some of you sent e-mails to me last week, my outgoing message stated that I would be out until November.  That was an oversight I made in the rush to get out of here and get to the hospital.  I apologize for that.  I have been sorting through a couple thousand e-mails since returning on Monday.  If you sent an email to me and have not received a response, it is not intentional.  If the issue that you needed assistance with is unresolved, please send another email that will get my immediate attention.  Thanks for your patience.

      Regards,

      Kevin B. Twine

      Staff Assistant

      Department of Public Works