9,556 Arrests in Ward 5: Court Watch is the Next Step

  • khenderson029@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2010
      The Tenth Annual Metropolitan Police Department Awards Ceremony honored the men and women of the Fifth District for: Crime Suppression Team of the Year, Best Performing District, Commander of the Year, underscoring 9,556 arrests for the year.

      What happens next? How many repeat offenders will end up back on the street, committing more crimes?Court Watch is the next step to help close the door on repeat offenders

      You can make a difference and take back your street and remain ANONYMOUS. Find out how by attending the next Court Watch meeting on March 3, 2010, at 6:30 p.m. at the Fifth District, located at 1805 Bladensburg Rd, NE.

      Do you know what happens after an arrest is made?

      Special Guest: Clifford T. Keenan - Deputy Director, DC Pretrial Services Agency will present :

                                                           "Conditions of Release"

      The 12-minute video illustrates how community policing measures can improve public safety through practical application of pretrial release conditions. Using this information, we can help shut the revolving door on repeat offenders!  Mr. Keenan will participate in our discussion and answer your questions.

      The time is NOW! Citizens CAN make a real difference in our neighborhoods by:

          1. calling judges about specific cases ANONYMOUSLY
          2. Sitting in courtrooms during particular hearings ANONYMOUSLY
          3. Submitting Community Impact Statements to be considered at sentencing ANONYMOUSLY

      Citizens can participate in any or all of the above activities ANONYMOUSLY, to help fight crime in our neighborhoods. Through Court Watch, every citizen has an opportunity to tell judges how crimes in our community impacts the quality of our lives.

      Don't miss your opportunity to be heard!

      Kathy Henderson