unified command center

  • Keith Jarrell
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2010
      Neighbors, I am most interested in hearing from you if you are experiencing any of the things like I experienced this morning.
      While getting ready for work I glanced out my bathroom windows and observed two people standing in the alley.
      Realizing that they didn't live there or anywhere near there that I knew of I stopped what I was doing to observe what they were doing.
      One light something, which looked like a pipe and inhaled from it and handed it to the female.  While the female had the pipe the male pulled something out of his pocket which looked like a cigarette or joint and lit it.  They continued to trade back and forth passing one to the other in exchange for what the other one had.

      I picked up my phone and dialed 911 - then it all went south.

      I asked for Police to be dispatched to the address (rear) of where I was observing the obvious exchange of illegal drugs being consumed right in front of my face in the alley behind my house.

      I spoke clearly and gave the address and was asked to repeat it. Which I did.

      I then begin to offer a full description of both the male and the female involved.  I was very abruptly cut off and told "I have a protocol to follow" which completely disallowed me to then complete my description.
      I asked for a supervisor and was hung up on when I insisted that their "protocol" ideas were destroying citizens from getting their concerns addressed in both a timely and courteous manner.  The supervisor insisted that the protocol was a necessary formula for their people to follow and when I confronted her about rather or not she would like to have people using illegal drugs outside her home or have someone follow protocol,  she hung up on me.

      My position is clear on this subject.  We are desperately in need of new management in UCC and a staff of people that are conscience and caring as many of us citizens are.

      This is a total disgrace and someone needs to address these types of issues in some way other than to suggest that this is working.

      The just of this morning's exchange is simple,  two likely criminals are now walking around ward 4 with a great potential to now commit another crime from being allowed to use illegal drugs and no one doing anything about it!

      Where does this abuse of the system stop?  We can't blame MPD since one can only suggest that they never even got the call.

      Pride got in the way of an over paid employee with no supervision !

      If you are experiencing anything similar to this I hope to hear from you.

      Keith Jarrell

      --
      Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
      P. J. O'Rourke

      Keith Jarrell
      Cell (202) 288-1867
      Fax (202) 315-2559
    • Quintana, Janice (OUC)
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2010

        Mr. Jarrell

        Thank you for quickly calling 911 to report this activity and sharing your concerns regarding the line of questions the 911 operators use during the information gathering process.  I realize that during a time of an emergency such as this , the line of 911 questions may seem irrelevant and frustrating. However , the 911 call takers are required to obtain as much detailed information as possible to ensure officer safety , preparedness , and most importantly the information gathered allows first responders to apprehend the suspects and stop the crime from escalating.

        Per our conversation earlier this morning I will look into the dispatching of this call and the unprofessional behavior such as disconnecting the call. This type of behavior is unacceptable and will not be tolerated.

        Thank you ,

        Janice Quintana

        Director

        Office of Unified Communications