Re: [MPD-5D] Visitors Parking Pass

  • Victoria Taylor
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 1 6:27 AM
      I had that problem as well.  Seems that the police always come up from behind, see the tag and start writing the ticket then.  When they get around to the front they see the visitors permit but still leave the ticket.  What we did was to leave a note in the back window, with big enough writing letting them know that the car has a visitors permit in the front window.  Maybe that will help you.  I have heard that you can send an explanation (maybe with a copy of your visitors permit) and they can make a rulling off of that but you may need to check first.

      Vicki
      Peabody St.

      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 1 7:06 AM
        I was told that they do not give out parking passes for rental cars.  My car was in shop.

[...]

      • svhill3pta
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 2 10:51 AM
          I now have a rental car and is afraid that I may get a ticket. Do I need to obtain a Visitor's Parking permit even though I live on Queen Street? I will only have it for 2 days; thanks to a neighbor sliding into my car in the blizzard.

          --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, TreyH@... wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > Does the Visitors Parking Permit mean anything to the Officers? The
          > reason I ask is because there was an attempted theft on my car recently and I am
          > currently using a rental car with VA tags until it is repaired. I did not
          > want to get a ticket, so I obtained a Visitors Parking Permit from 5D. I
          > have received two tickets (Fail to secure DC Tags/Recipro) since 2/16/10
          > and I am wondering why; the permit doesn't expire until 3/2/10. Fighting
          > these tickets are very inconvenient, especially since my understanding is that
          > I should not be receiving these tickets. Is there someone that can
          > explain this to me? Thank you.
          >

          > Trey
          > On Holbrook Street, NE

        • Thembi Butler
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 2 2:35 PM

            Aren’t there two varieties of ticket here?  One for parking in an RPP zone with no RPP, and the other, a failure to register an out of state vehicle?

            According to the DMV site, you can get a permit for a rental car for up to 15 days.  http://dmv.dc.gov/serv/parking/resident_rental_car.shtm

            Thembi Butler

            Metaformers, Inc.

            2010 Corporate Ridge Suite 850, McLean , VA 22102

            Mobile 202.431.1169| Phone 703.288.4620 | Fax 877.870.5066

            Thembi.Butler@...

            Evaluate. Innovate. Deliver | www.metaformers.com

            Confidentiality Notice

            The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments to this message are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain confidential or privileged information.   If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender at Metaformers immediately and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments.

            Metaformers is an Oracle Certified Partner

            I now have a rental car and is afraid that I may get a ticket. Do I need to obtain a Visitor's Parking permit even though I live on Queen Street ? I will only have it for 2 days; thanks to a neighbor sliding into my car in the blizzard.

            --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups. com, TreyH@... wrote:

            > Hello,
            >
            > Does the Visitors Parking Permit mean anything to the Officers? The
            > reason I ask is because there was an attempted theft on my car recently
            and I am
            > currently using a rental car with VA tags until it is repaired. I did not
            > want to get a ticket, so I obtained a Visitors Parking Permit from 5D. I
            > have received two tickets (Fail to secure DC Tags/Recipro) since 2/16/10
            > and I am wondering why; the permit doesn't expire until 3/2/10. Fighting
            > these tickets are very inconvenient, especially since my understanding is
            that
            > I should not be receiving these tickets. Is there someone that can
            > explain this to me? Thank you.
            >

            > Trey
            > On Holbrook Street, NE

          • Harold Houston III
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 2 9:41 PM
              Yes, you can get a Visitor Parking Pass; however, that still does not prevent you from getting the tickets as it seems that the DMV officers do not pay attention to the passes.

              -- Sent from my Palm Prē

              Trey Houston

              Thembi.Butler@ metaformers. com

              Evaluate. Innovate. Deliver | www.metaformers. com

              Confidentiality Notice

              The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments to this message are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain confidential or privileged information.   If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender at Metaformers immediately and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments.

              Metaformers is an Oracle Certified Partner

              I now have a rental car and is afraid that I may get a ticket. Do I need to obtain a Visitor's Parking permit even though I live on Queen Street ? I will only have it for 2 days; thanks to a neighbor sliding into my car in the blizzard.

              --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups. com, TreyH@... wrote:

              > Hello,
              >
              > Does the Visitors Parking Permit mean anything to the Officers? The
              > reason I ask is because there was an attempted theft on my car recently
              and I am
              > currently using a rental car with VA tags until it is repaired. I did not
              > want to get a ticket, so I obtained a Visitors Parking Permit from 5D. I
              > have received two tickets (Fail to secure DC Tags/Recipro) since 2/16/10
              > and I am wondering why; the permit doesn't expire until 3/2/10. Fighting
              > these tickets are very inconvenient, especially since my understanding is
              that
              > I should not be receiving these tickets. Is there someone that can
              > explain this to me? Thank you.
              >

              > Trey
              > On Holbrook Street, NE

            • Gigi Ransom
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 3 4:52 AM
                If it is determined that DPW parking enforcement wrote these tickets, please have your ANC contact the DPW ANC liaison, or contact Kevin Twine to have referred to appropriate DPW management person to discuss this matter.  Remember, due to snow storms, they are behind in writing tickets.  Sometimes parking officers are "over zealous" in writing tickets.  Gigi

              • khenderson029@aol.com
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 3 10:47 AM
                  Ticket writing is the one service DPW provides that works. The parking enforcement efforts in my community are helping to deter persons that live elsewhere (mainly other states) from coming into my neighborhood and drinking, drugging and taking parking spaces my neighbors and I are entitled to use because we pay for the privilege. Ticket-writing appears to be equally aggressive in all wards. I too have received the occasional parking ticket even though I had a visible visitor's pass on the dash board of my rental car. If you receive a ticket under these circumstances, just contest the ticket by mail by including a photocopy of the visitor's pass and the ticket number. You can also contest the ticket in person and it will be dismissed.

                  Finally, DPW needs to improve trash collection, leaf collection, bulk collection and public receptacle collection immediately here in Ward 5 to help thwart criminal enterprise. Criminals prefer to operate in neighborhoods that are strewn with refuse because it sends a loud signal that the community will not fight back. No drug dealer would dare openly sell on a clean street with flowers in the tree boxes and yards. How about sanitation enforcement efforts that match parking ticket-writing efforts? How about regular trash collection, bulk collection and leaf collection services here that are comparable to Ward 3, 6, 2 and parts of Wards 1 and 4? How about equitable service delivery for all wards? The police have to work harder in areas that are overrun with refuse and it is not fair to them or us.

                  Kathy Henderson

                • tracey.williams1713@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 4 8:03 PM
                    Hi Ms Ransom ... I live on West Virginia Ave and have had this same problem for some time now where my friend who has MD tags visits me overnight for the weekend and either gets ticketed or warning tickets for not displaying DC tags. I have obtained the 15 day permits from 5D and he has still been ticketed with the permit displayed in his window. I cannot understand why taxpaying DC residents cannot have visitors overnight without being harrassed by parking enforcement. I also know that this does not happen in some other areas of the city. Please tell me what type of permit I need to get so that this can stop. Thank you

                    Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

                    From: Gigi Ransom <gigir1829@...>
                    Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 04:52:17 -0800 (PST)
                    To: <MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com>

                    If it is determined that DPW parking enforcement wrote these tickets, please have your ANC contact the DPW ANC liaison, or contact Kevin Twine to have referred to appropriate DPW management person to discuss this matter.  Remember, due to snow storms, they are behind in writing tickets.  Sometimes parking officers are "over zealous" in writing tickets.  Gigi

                    I now have a rental car and is afraid that I may get a ticket. Do I need to obtain a Visitor's Parking permit even though I live on Queen Street ? I will only have it for 2 days; thanks to a neighbor sliding into my car in the blizzard.

                    --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups. com, TreyH@... wrote:

                    > Hello,
                    >
                    > Does the Visitors Parking Permit mean anything to the Officers? The
                    > reason I ask is because there was an attempted theft on my car recently and I am
                    > currently using a rental car with VA tags until it is repaired. I did not
                    > want to get a ticket, so I obtained a Visitors Parking Permit from 5D. I
                    > have received two tickets (Fail to secure DC Tags/Recipro) since 2/16/10
                    > and I am wondering why; the permit doesn't expire until 3/2/10. Fighting
                    > these tickets are very inconvenient, especially since my understanding is that
                    > I should not be receiving these tickets. Is there someone that can
                    > explain this to me? Thank you.
                    >

                    > Trey
                    > On Holbrook Street, NE

                  • Diedra Prophet
                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 5 5:53 AM
                      Hello

                      You can look up at the DMV service location on C Street what they call a Rosa Exemption (stands for registration of out of state automobiles). Hope this helps

                      From: Gigi Ransom <gigir1829@yahoo. com>
                      Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 04:52:17 -0800 (PST)
                      To: <MPD-5D@yahoogroups. com>

                    • khenderson029@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 5 6:06 AM
                        Your friend needs a ROSA permit. He can take the warning ticket and proof of his Maryland address to DMV and they will complete the process. After this, he should not get another ticket.

                        Kathy Henderson

                        From: tracey.williams1713@...
                        Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 04:03:06 +0000
                        To: <MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com>

                        From: Gigi Ransom <gigir1829@yahoo. com>
                        Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 04:52:17 -0800 (PST)
                        To: <MPD-5D@yahoogroups. com>

                        If it is determined that DPW parking enforcement wrote these tickets, please have your ANC contact the DPW ANC liaison, or contact Kevin Twine to have referred to appropriate DPW management person to discuss this matter.  Remember, due to snow storms, they are behind in writing tickets.  Sometimes parking officers are "over zealous" in writing tickets.  Gigi

                        I now have a rental car and is afraid that I may get a ticket. Do I need to obtain a Visitor's Parking permit even though I live on Queen Street ? I will only have it for 2 days; thanks to a neighbor sliding into my car in the blizzard.

                        --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups. com, TreyH@... wrote:

                        > Hello,
                        >
                        > Does the Visitors Parking Permit mean anything to the Officers? The
                        > reason I ask is because there was an attempted theft on my car recently and I am
                        > currently using a rental car with VA tags until it is repaired. I did not
                        > want to get a ticket, so I obtained a Visitors Parking Permit from 5D. I
                        > have received two tickets (Fail to secure DC Tags/Recipro) since 2/16/10
                        > and I am wondering why; the permit doesn't expire until 3/2/10. Fighting
                        > these tickets are very inconvenient, especially since my understanding is that
                        > I should not be receiving these tickets. Is there someone that can
                        > explain this to me? Thank you.
                        >

                        > Trey
                        > On Holbrook Street, NE

                      • Gigi Ransom
                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 5 6:18 AM
                          Ms. Williams, I really would like to have a clear solution for this problem, but I don't.  The problem is when Enforcement patrols in the cars/vans with the cameras recording parked cars tag #s, it can't tell the difference and see that there is a visitor's permit in the front window.  The tag# goes into the ROSA computer system, when scanned again or when enforcement/police on duty checking cars, ticket is issued if tag# shows up.  It is an unfair, time-consuming and loss of wages to address in traffic court.  This is a problem all over.
                          Don't know if CM Thomas is on the Public Works committee.  I want to raise this issue at my ANC meeting next week and see if we can pass a resolution to look into this.  Don't know who your ANC commissioner is. If you know, send email about the problem.  If you don't know, call Board of Elections, 202/727-2255, give address, and they will tell you who is.  By the way, CM Thomas is holding his annual Ward 5Expo tomorrow at Galludet U, starts at 8:30am,  I plan on raising this question there.  You might want to attend.  Gigi Ransom 202/529-0508

                          From: Gigi Ransom <gigir1829@yahoo. com>
                          Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 04:52:17 -0800 (PST)
                          To: <MPD-5D@yahoogroups. com>

                          If it is determined that DPW parking enforcement wrote these tickets, please have your ANC contact the DPW ANC liaison, or contact Kevin Twine to have referred to appropriate DPW management person to discuss this matter.  Remember, due to snow storms, they are behind in writing tickets.  Sometimes parking officers are "over zealous" in writing tickets.  Gigi

                          I now have a rental car and is afraid that I may get a ticket. Do I need to obtain a Visitor's Parking permit even though I live on Queen Street ? I will only have it for 2 days; thanks to a neighbor sliding into my car in the blizzard.

                          --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups. com, TreyH@... wrote:

                          > Hello,
                          >
                          > Does the Visitors Parking Permit mean anything to the Officers? The
                          > reason I ask is because there was an attempted theft on my car recently and I am
                          > currently using a rental car with VA tags until it is repaired. I did not
                          > want to get a ticket, so I obtained a Visitors Parking Permit from 5D. I
                          > have received two tickets (Fail to secure DC Tags/Recipro) since 2/16/10
                          > and I am wondering why; the permit doesn't expire until 3/2/10. Fighting
                          > these tickets are very inconvenient, especially since my understanding is that
                          > I should not be receiving these tickets. Is there someone that can
                          > explain this to me? Thank you.
                          >

                          > Trey
                          > On Holbrook Street, NE

                        • James Petty Sr
                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 6 3:55 AM
                            How is that these people have so much trouble with parking in these communitys when I have residents who live in my area for five years and have out of state tags and will not change their tags to DC.

                            To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
                            From: khenderson029@...
                            Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 14:06:51 +0000

                            Your friend needs a ROSA permit. He can take the warning ticket and proof of his Maryland address to DMV and they will complete the process. After this, he should not get another ticket.

                            Kathy Henderson
                            Sent on the SprintR Now Network from my BlackBerryR

                            From: tracey.williams1713@...
                            Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 04:03:06 +0000
                            To: <MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com>

                            From: Gigi Ransom <gigir1829@...>
                            Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 04:52:17 -0800 (PST)
                            To: <MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com>

                            http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/201469229/direct/01/
                          • khenderson029@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 6 11:59 AM
                              Parking enforcement is largely driven by complaints. Once your community is on the radar they will follow up. The follow up often appears to be selective enforcement. My community has benefited from the enforcement. Going forward, I would like to see a more systematic approach to enforcement that enhances the public's perception of fairness.

                              Kathy Henderson

                              From: James Petty Sr <pettybone@...>
                              Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2010 06:55:30
                              To: <mpd-5d@yahoogroups.com>