Visitors Parking Pass

  • TreyH@aol.com
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 26, 2010
      Hello,

      Does the Visitors Parking Permit mean anything to the Officers?  The reason I ask is because there was an attempted theft on my car recently and I am currently using a rental car with VA tags until it is repaired.  I did not want to get a ticket, so I obtained a Visitors Parking Permit from 5D.  I have received two tickets (Fail to secure DC Tags/Recipro) since 2/16/10 and I am wondering why; the permit doesn't expire until 3/2/10.  Fighting these tickets are very inconvenient, especially since my understanding is that I should not be receiving these tickets.  Is there someone that can explain this to me?  Thank you.

      Trey
      On Holbrook Street, NE
    • Sabrina Hill
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 27, 2010
        I would love to hear the answer to this one as I will be putting my car in for repairs and will be obtaining a rental car for 2 days. It makes no sense for us to pay for residential parking and still have to pay for parking tickets. I am sure when Officers run the plates, it clearly shows that it's a rental.

        Does the Visitors Parking Permit mean anything to the Officers? The reason
        I ask is because there was an attempted theft on my car recently and I am
        currently using a rental car with VA tags until it is repaired. I did not
        want to get a ticket, so I obtained a Visitors Parking Permit from 5D. I
        have received two tickets (Fail to secure DC Tags/Recipro) since 2/16/10 and
        I am wondering why; the permit doesn't expire until 3/2/10. Fighting these
        tickets are very inconvenient, especially since my understanding is that I
        should not be receiving these tickets. Is there someone that can explain
        this to me? Thank you.

        Trey

        On Holbrook Street, NE
      • Grogan, Brian (MPD)
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 27, 2010

          The parking tickets are they printed out by computer or hand written?

          If you can read the signature of the person who issued the tickets is the person or person(s) Officers from the Metropolitan Police Department with a badge or CAD Identification number listed or Parking Enforcement employee(s) from DPW?

          Thank you for any clarification

          Does the Visitors Parking Permit mean anything to the Officers?  The reason I ask is because there was an attempted theft on my car recently and I am currently using a rental car with VA tags until it is repaired.  I did not want to get a ticket, so I obtained a Visitors Parking Permit from 5D.  I have received two tickets (Fail to secure DC Tags/Recipro) since 2/16/10 and I am wondering why; the permit doesn't expire until 3/2/10.  Fighting these tickets are very inconvenient, especially since my understanding is that I should not be receiving these tickets.  Is there someone that can explain this to me?  Thank you.

          Trey

          On Holbrook Street, NE

        • jwh.east
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 27, 2010
            Brian,
            To continue on your question, are not most (or all) printed parking tickets issued by DPW? I would guess that a majority of the complaints in the Bates Area of PSA 501 originate with a DPW ticket.

            -jon

            --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Grogan, Brian (MPD)" <Brian.Grogan@...> wrote:

            > The parking tickets are they printed out by computer or hand written?
            >

            > If you can read the signature of the person who issued the tickets is
            > the person or person(s) Officers from the Metropolitan Police Department
            > with a badge or CAD Identification number listed or Parking Enforcement
            > employee(s) from DPW?
            >

            > Thank you for any clarification
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Greene, Lamar (MPD)
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 27, 2010
              Please call the fifth district at 202 698 0113 on monday, sergeant crews will look into the matter as well as which officer issued the ticket and if it was in error.
              Commander Lamar D. Greene

              Does the Visitors Parking Permit mean anything to the Officers?  The reason I ask is because there was an attempted theft on my car recently and I am currently using a rental car with VA tags until it is repaired.  I did not want to get a ticket, so I obtained a Visitors Parking Permit from 5D.  I have received two tickets (Fail to secure DC Tags/Recipro) since 2/16/10 and I am wondering why; the permit doesn't expire until 3/2/10.  Fighting these tickets are very inconvenient, especially since my understanding is that I should not be receiving these tickets.  Is there someone that can explain this to me?  Thank you.

              Trey
              On Holbrook Street, NE
            • Debbie Smith
              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 27, 2010
                Tickets can be issued by DPW or MPD.  DPW tickets are computerized digital light weight paper.  MPD tickets are hand written on card stock paper

                May life's lessons expand your wisdom!

                jwh.east wrote:

                Brian,
                To continue on your question, are not most (or all) printed parking tickets issued by DPW? I would guess that a majority of the complaints in the Bates Area of PSA 501 originate with a DPW ticket.

                -jon

                --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups. com, "Grogan, Brian (MPD)" <Brian.Grogan@ ...> wrote:

                > The parking tickets are they printed out by computer or hand written?
                >

                > If you can read the signature of the person who issued the tickets is
                > the person or person(s) Officers from the Metropolitan Police Department
                > with a badge or CAD Identification number listed or Parking Enforcement
                > employee(s) from DPW?
                >

                > Thank you for any clarification
                >

                > ____________ _________ _________ __

              • Grogan, Brian (MPD)
                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 27, 2010

                  In an answer to Jon’s question, that is correct the majority of printed tickets are issued by DPW parking enforcement personnel.

                  They can be identified also by the lack of a badge number on the issuing members signature and name portion of the ticket.

                  Thank you

                  To continue on your question, are not most (or all) printed parking tickets issued by DPW? I would guess that a majority of the complaints in the Bates Area of PSA 501 originate with a DPW ticket.

                  -jon

                  --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups. com, "Grogan, Brian (MPD)" <Brian.Grogan@ ...> wrote:

                  > The parking tickets are they printed out by computer or hand written?
                  >

                  > If you can read the signature of the person who issued the tickets is
                  > the person or person(s) Officers from the Metropolitan Police Department
                  > with a badge or CAD Identification number listed or Parking Enforcement
                  > employee(s) from DPW?
                  >

                  > Thank you for any clarification
                  >

                  > ____________ _________ _________ __

                • Harold Houston III
                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 27, 2010
                    The parking tickets are printed out. It shows the Officer's name, Dept., and badge number.  I'm not sure how to determine if they were issued by MPD or DPW.

                    It appears that these tickets are issued between 4 to 5:30AM. What bothers me most is that they request towing, which would be more than a small inconvenience if that happens.

                    -- Sent from my Palm Pre

                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 1, 2010
                      I had that problem as well.  Seems that the police always come up from behind, see the tag and start writing the ticket then.  When they get around to the front they see the visitors permit but still leave the ticket.  What we did was to leave a note in the back window, with big enough writing letting them know that the car has a visitors permit in the front window.  Maybe that will help you.  I have heard that you can send an explanation (maybe with a copy of your visitors permit) and they can make a rulling off of that but you may need to check first.

                      Vicki
                      Peabody St.

                      Does the Visitors Parking Permit mean anything to the Officers?  The reason I ask is because there was an attempted theft on my car recently and I am currently using a rental car with VA tags until it is repaired.  I did not want to get a ticket, so I obtained a Visitors Parking Permit from 5D.  I have received two tickets (Fail to secure DC Tags/Recipro) since 2/16/10 and I am wondering why; the permit doesn't expire until 3/2/10.  Fighting these tickets are very inconvenient, especially since my understanding is that I should not be receiving these tickets.  Is there someone that can explain this to me?  Thank you.

                      Trey
                      On Holbrook Street, NE

                    • Matthew Hutson
                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 1, 2010
                        I was told that they do not give out parking passes for rental cars.  My car was in shop.

[...]

                      • svhill3pta
                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 2, 2010
                          I now have a rental car and is afraid that I may get a ticket. Do I need to obtain a Visitor's Parking permit even though I live on Queen Street? I will only have it for 2 days; thanks to a neighbor sliding into my car in the blizzard.

                          --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, TreyH@... wrote:

                          > Hello,
                          >
                          > Does the Visitors Parking Permit mean anything to the Officers? The
                          > reason I ask is because there was an attempted theft on my car recently and I am
                          > currently using a rental car with VA tags until it is repaired. I did not
                          > want to get a ticket, so I obtained a Visitors Parking Permit from 5D. I
                          > have received two tickets (Fail to secure DC Tags/Recipro) since 2/16/10
                          > and I am wondering why; the permit doesn't expire until 3/2/10. Fighting
                          > these tickets are very inconvenient, especially since my understanding is that
                          > I should not be receiving these tickets. Is there someone that can
                          > explain this to me? Thank you.
                          >

                          > Trey
                          > On Holbrook Street, NE

                        • Thembi Butler
                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 2, 2010

                            Aren’t there two varieties of ticket here?  One for parking in an RPP zone with no RPP, and the other, a failure to register an out of state vehicle?

                            According to the DMV site, you can get a permit for a rental car for up to 15 days.  http://dmv.dc.gov/serv/parking/resident_rental_car.shtm

                            Thembi Butler

                            Metaformers, Inc.

                            2010 Corporate Ridge Suite 850, McLean , VA 22102

                            Mobile 202.431.1169| Phone 703.288.4620 | Fax 877.870.5066

                            Thembi.Butler@...

                            Evaluate. Innovate. Deliver | www.metaformers.com

                            Confidentiality Notice

                            The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments to this message are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain confidential or privileged information.   If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender at Metaformers immediately and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments.

                            Metaformers is an Oracle Certified Partner

                            I now have a rental car and is afraid that I may get a ticket. Do I need to obtain a Visitor's Parking permit even though I live on Queen Street ? I will only have it for 2 days; thanks to a neighbor sliding into my car in the blizzard.

                            --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups. com, TreyH@... wrote:

                            > Hello,
                            >
                            > Does the Visitors Parking Permit mean anything to the Officers? The
                            > reason I ask is because there was an attempted theft on my car recently
                            and I am
                            > currently using a rental car with VA tags until it is repaired. I did not
                            > want to get a ticket, so I obtained a Visitors Parking Permit from 5D. I
                            > have received two tickets (Fail to secure DC Tags/Recipro) since 2/16/10
                            > and I am wondering why; the permit doesn't expire until 3/2/10. Fighting
                            > these tickets are very inconvenient, especially since my understanding is
                            that
                            > I should not be receiving these tickets. Is there someone that can
                            > explain this to me? Thank you.
                            >

                            > Trey
                            > On Holbrook Street, NE

                          • Harold Houston III
                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 2, 2010
                              Yes, you can get a Visitor Parking Pass; however, that still does not prevent you from getting the tickets as it seems that the DMV officers do not pay attention to the passes.

                              -- Sent from my Palm Prē

                              Trey Houston

                              Thembi.Butler@ metaformers. com

                              Evaluate. Innovate. Deliver | www.metaformers. com

                              Confidentiality Notice

                              The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments to this message are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain confidential or privileged information.   If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender at Metaformers immediately and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments.

                              Metaformers is an Oracle Certified Partner

                              I now have a rental car and is afraid that I may get a ticket. Do I need to obtain a Visitor's Parking permit even though I live on Queen Street ? I will only have it for 2 days; thanks to a neighbor sliding into my car in the blizzard.

                              --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups. com, TreyH@... wrote:

                              > Hello,
                              >
                              > Does the Visitors Parking Permit mean anything to the Officers? The
                              > reason I ask is because there was an attempted theft on my car recently
                              and I am
                              > currently using a rental car with VA tags until it is repaired. I did not
                              > want to get a ticket, so I obtained a Visitors Parking Permit from 5D. I
                              > have received two tickets (Fail to secure DC Tags/Recipro) since 2/16/10
                              > and I am wondering why; the permit doesn't expire until 3/2/10. Fighting
                              > these tickets are very inconvenient, especially since my understanding is
                              that
                              > I should not be receiving these tickets. Is there someone that can
                              > explain this to me? Thank you.
                              >

                              > Trey
                              > On Holbrook Street, NE

                            • Gigi Ransom
                              Message 14 of 21 , Mar 3, 2010
                                If it is determined that DPW parking enforcement wrote these tickets, please have your ANC contact the DPW ANC liaison, or contact Kevin Twine to have referred to appropriate DPW management person to discuss this matter.  Remember, due to snow storms, they are behind in writing tickets.  Sometimes parking officers are "over zealous" in writing tickets.  Gigi

                              • khenderson029@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 21 , Mar 3, 2010
                                  Ticket writing is the one service DPW provides that works. The parking enforcement efforts in my community are helping to deter persons that live elsewhere (mainly other states) from coming into my neighborhood and drinking, drugging and taking parking spaces my neighbors and I are entitled to use because we pay for the privilege. Ticket-writing appears to be equally aggressive in all wards. I too have received the occasional parking ticket even though I had a visible visitor's pass on the dash board of my rental car. If you receive a ticket under these circumstances, just contest the ticket by mail by including a photocopy of the visitor's pass and the ticket number. You can also contest the ticket in person and it will be dismissed.

                                  Finally, DPW needs to improve trash collection, leaf collection, bulk collection and public receptacle collection immediately here in Ward 5 to help thwart criminal enterprise. Criminals prefer to operate in neighborhoods that are strewn with refuse because it sends a loud signal that the community will not fight back. No drug dealer would dare openly sell on a clean street with flowers in the tree boxes and yards. How about sanitation enforcement efforts that match parking ticket-writing efforts? How about regular trash collection, bulk collection and leaf collection services here that are comparable to Ward 3, 6, 2 and parts of Wards 1 and 4? How about equitable service delivery for all wards? The police have to work harder in areas that are overrun with refuse and it is not fair to them or us.

                                  Kathy Henderson

                                • tracey.williams1713@yahoo.com
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Mar 4, 2010
                                    Hi Ms Ransom ... I live on West Virginia Ave and have had this same problem for some time now where my friend who has MD tags visits me overnight for the weekend and either gets ticketed or warning tickets for not displaying DC tags. I have obtained the 15 day permits from 5D and he has still been ticketed with the permit displayed in his window. I cannot understand why taxpaying DC residents cannot have visitors overnight without being harrassed by parking enforcement. I also know that this does not happen in some other areas of the city. Please tell me what type of permit I need to get so that this can stop. Thank you

                                    Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

                                    From: Gigi Ransom <gigir1829@...>
                                    Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 04:52:17 -0800 (PST)
                                    To: <MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com>

                                    If it is determined that DPW parking enforcement wrote these tickets, please have your ANC contact the DPW ANC liaison, or contact Kevin Twine to have referred to appropriate DPW management person to discuss this matter.  Remember, due to snow storms, they are behind in writing tickets.  Sometimes parking officers are "over zealous" in writing tickets.  Gigi

                                    I now have a rental car and is afraid that I may get a ticket. Do I need to obtain a Visitor's Parking permit even though I live on Queen Street ? I will only have it for 2 days; thanks to a neighbor sliding into my car in the blizzard.

                                    --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups. com, TreyH@... wrote:

                                    > Hello,
                                    >
                                    > Does the Visitors Parking Permit mean anything to the Officers? The
                                    > reason I ask is because there was an attempted theft on my car recently and I am
                                    > currently using a rental car with VA tags until it is repaired. I did not
                                    > want to get a ticket, so I obtained a Visitors Parking Permit from 5D. I
                                    > have received two tickets (Fail to secure DC Tags/Recipro) since 2/16/10
                                    > and I am wondering why; the permit doesn't expire until 3/2/10. Fighting
                                    > these tickets are very inconvenient, especially since my understanding is that
                                    > I should not be receiving these tickets. Is there someone that can
                                    > explain this to me? Thank you.
                                    >

                                    > Trey
                                    > On Holbrook Street, NE

                                  • Diedra Prophet
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Mar 5, 2010
                                      Hello

                                      You can look up at the DMV service location on C Street what they call a Rosa Exemption (stands for registration of out of state automobiles). Hope this helps

                                      From: Gigi Ransom <gigir1829@yahoo. com>
                                      Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 04:52:17 -0800 (PST)
                                      To: <MPD-5D@yahoogroups. com>

                                    • khenderson029@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Mar 5, 2010
                                        Your friend needs a ROSA permit. He can take the warning ticket and proof of his Maryland address to DMV and they will complete the process. After this, he should not get another ticket.

                                        Kathy Henderson

                                        From: tracey.williams1713@...
                                        Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 04:03:06 +0000
                                        To: <MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com>

                                        From: Gigi Ransom <gigir1829@yahoo. com>
                                        Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 04:52:17 -0800 (PST)
                                        To: <MPD-5D@yahoogroups. com>

                                        If it is determined that DPW parking enforcement wrote these tickets, please have your ANC contact the DPW ANC liaison, or contact Kevin Twine to have referred to appropriate DPW management person to discuss this matter.  Remember, due to snow storms, they are behind in writing tickets.  Sometimes parking officers are "over zealous" in writing tickets.  Gigi

                                        I now have a rental car and is afraid that I may get a ticket. Do I need to obtain a Visitor's Parking permit even though I live on Queen Street ? I will only have it for 2 days; thanks to a neighbor sliding into my car in the blizzard.

                                        --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups. com, TreyH@... wrote:

                                        > Hello,
                                        >
                                        > Does the Visitors Parking Permit mean anything to the Officers? The
                                        > reason I ask is because there was an attempted theft on my car recently and I am
                                        > currently using a rental car with VA tags until it is repaired. I did not
                                        > want to get a ticket, so I obtained a Visitors Parking Permit from 5D. I
                                        > have received two tickets (Fail to secure DC Tags/Recipro) since 2/16/10
                                        > and I am wondering why; the permit doesn't expire until 3/2/10. Fighting
                                        > these tickets are very inconvenient, especially since my understanding is that
                                        > I should not be receiving these tickets. Is there someone that can
                                        > explain this to me? Thank you.
                                        >

                                        > Trey
                                        > On Holbrook Street, NE

                                      • Gigi Ransom
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Mar 5, 2010
                                          Ms. Williams, I really would like to have a clear solution for this problem, but I don't.  The problem is when Enforcement patrols in the cars/vans with the cameras recording parked cars tag #s, it can't tell the difference and see that there is a visitor's permit in the front window.  The tag# goes into the ROSA computer system, when scanned again or when enforcement/police on duty checking cars, ticket is issued if tag# shows up.  It is an unfair, time-consuming and loss of wages to address in traffic court.  This is a problem all over.
                                          Don't know if CM Thomas is on the Public Works committee.  I want to raise this issue at my ANC meeting next week and see if we can pass a resolution to look into this.  Don't know who your ANC commissioner is. If you know, send email about the problem.  If you don't know, call Board of Elections, 202/727-2255, give address, and they will tell you who is.  By the way, CM Thomas is holding his annual Ward 5Expo tomorrow at Galludet U, starts at 8:30am,  I plan on raising this question there.  You might want to attend.  Gigi Ransom 202/529-0508

                                          From: Gigi Ransom <gigir1829@yahoo. com>
                                          Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 04:52:17 -0800 (PST)
                                          To: <MPD-5D@yahoogroups. com>

                                          If it is determined that DPW parking enforcement wrote these tickets, please have your ANC contact the DPW ANC liaison, or contact Kevin Twine to have referred to appropriate DPW management person to discuss this matter.  Remember, due to snow storms, they are behind in writing tickets.  Sometimes parking officers are "over zealous" in writing tickets.  Gigi

                                          I now have a rental car and is afraid that I may get a ticket. Do I need to obtain a Visitor's Parking permit even though I live on Queen Street ? I will only have it for 2 days; thanks to a neighbor sliding into my car in the blizzard.

                                          --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups. com, TreyH@... wrote:

                                          > Hello,
                                          >
                                          > Does the Visitors Parking Permit mean anything to the Officers? The
                                          > reason I ask is because there was an attempted theft on my car recently and I am
                                          > currently using a rental car with VA tags until it is repaired. I did not
                                          > want to get a ticket, so I obtained a Visitors Parking Permit from 5D. I
                                          > have received two tickets (Fail to secure DC Tags/Recipro) since 2/16/10
                                          > and I am wondering why; the permit doesn't expire until 3/2/10. Fighting
                                          > these tickets are very inconvenient, especially since my understanding is that
                                          > I should not be receiving these tickets. Is there someone that can
                                          > explain this to me? Thank you.
                                          >

                                          > Trey
                                          > On Holbrook Street, NE

                                        • James Petty Sr
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Mar 6, 2010
                                            How is that these people have so much trouble with parking in these communitys when I have residents who live in my area for five years and have out of state tags and will not change their tags to DC.

                                            To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
                                            From: khenderson029@...
                                            Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 14:06:51 +0000

                                            Your friend needs a ROSA permit. He can take the warning ticket and proof of his Maryland address to DMV and they will complete the process. After this, he should not get another ticket.

                                            Kathy Henderson
                                            Sent on the SprintR Now Network from my BlackBerryR

                                            From: tracey.williams1713@...
                                            Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 04:03:06 +0000
                                            To: <MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com>

                                            From: Gigi Ransom <gigir1829@...>
                                            Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 04:52:17 -0800 (PST)
                                            To: <MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com>

                                            http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/201469229/direct/01/
                                          • khenderson029@aol.com
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Mar 6, 2010
                                              Parking enforcement is largely driven by complaints. Once your community is on the radar they will follow up. The follow up often appears to be selective enforcement. My community has benefited from the enforcement. Going forward, I would like to see a more systematic approach to enforcement that enhances the public's perception of fairness.

                                              Kathy Henderson

                                              From: James Petty Sr <pettybone@...>
                                              Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2010 06:55:30
                                              To: <mpd-5d@yahoogroups.com>