Re: shots on Douglas between 10th and 12th

  • Sonya Harway
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 14, 2005
      Hello?

      I am becoming more and more disenchanted with the lack of information being provided
      on this listserv. My neighbors have twice asked for information here on shootings so that
      we don't have to rely on neighborhood gossip. This has happened too often in the past:
      we ask for information on the listserv, get no response, then wait until the PSA meeting to
      ask in person, where officers tell us they will get back to us and never do. Please respond
      on the listserv or send prepared and knowledgeable officers to the PSA meetings.

      It's come to my attention that 4D officers posts brief police crime stats when crimes
      occur-- can we please have something like this on this listserv? The crime section in the
      Post is not complete and we are currently not getting adequate information.

      -Sonya Harway
      (10th and Douglas)

      --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "erheramb" <erheramb@y...> wrote:

      > My husband woke up by the shots and called 911 while we saw police
      > driving the area. We were, also, impressed by how quickly the
      > response was. But, I would really like to know where the shots came
      > from because if they were from the apartments on 2504 and 2520 10th
      > St. NE we never witnessed any police stop and investigate. So yes,
      > there was a quick response but that is all we saw. Hopefully,
      > everyone is okay but I think that even though our street has
      > been "quiet" for the past months there are still a lot of problems
      > that should receive attention i.e. drug dealing at 2504 and 2520 10th
      > St., prostitution, etc. and not just crisis intervention. At last
      > month's PSA meeting we were told that there have been more services
      > allocated for our district but I really have not seen any of that on
      > our street i.e. light tower, foot beat, mini station outside of 2504
      > and 2520 10th St. NE, etc. Hopefully, a wake up call,
      > Erin 10th
      > --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "k_fw" <k_fw@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I am hoping someone can post or e-mail me details about the shots
      > fired
      > > around 3:15 this Sunday morning.
      > >
      > > Thank you to the police who arrived VERY quickly. Angry voices were
      > still
      > > heard by the time I saw an officer pull up the block.
      > >
      > > Earlier (around 7 pm) police were called to that block to look into
      > a very loud
      > > argument. I'm not sure if the two incidences are related or not.
      > >
      > > Thanks for the information.

    • Toby Susse
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 14, 2005
        Message
        I second that.  When someone asks a question of the police on this listserv, it needs to get answered on this listserv in a timely manner - even if the answer is "we cannot comment right now because it is still under investigation" or "I don't know, but I will look into this and respond within 24 hours."

        Not only do they post daily arrest reports on the 4D listserv, but Commander Burton often directly answers questions himself - the fact that his is an active participant on the listserv gives an example to other officers in 4D to also respond in a timely manner, as I am sure that if he saw this complaint on the 4D listserv, he would make sure that a.) the original question was answered immediately and b.) make sure that it does not happen again.

        This listserv is suppose to increase communication between the community and the police.  If the police do not respond to citizen questions, what good is it?

        Thank you.

        Toby