Fw: [Brookland] 2009 DC Homicide Rate Lowest in 4 Decades

  • khenderson029@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 29, 2009

      From: khenderson029@...
      Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 05:57:24 +0000
      To: Robert Vinson Brannum<rbrannum@...>; <Brookland@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [Brookland] 2009 DC Homicide Rate Lowest in 4 Decades

      I certainly applaud Chief Lanier for her excellent work on behalf of our city and Commander Greene for his excellent work in Ward 5. I also applaud all of the citizens in Ward 5 and throughout our city that have stepped up to work with MPD to help thwart crime. Councilmember Mendelson has done a commendable job as the chair of the judiciary committee and has frequently attended community meetings to hear our thoughts regarding public safety.

      Finally, our Councilmember has not done enough to promote public safety. First, he called a crime emergency without realizing that he does not have the authority to do so. Then, there was the "ten-point action plan" that amounted to little more than an unfunded idea list. Aside from posting brief thank you messages to Commander Greene on the 5D listserv and vague "someone from my staff will follow up..." I cannot see significant results from our representative. To his credit, our councilmember did coauthor a piece of legislation to increase penalties for certain crimes committed near Metro stations. Where is the body of work that corresponds to almost four years in office? It isn't there just like our Councilmember generally isn't in his ward.

      Kathy Henderson

      From: "Robert Vinson Brannum" <rbrannum@robertbran num.com>
      Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 20:01:54 -0500
      To: Robert Vinson Brannum<rbrannum@robertbran num.com>

      Dear Neighbors,

      The following information is from MPD and responds to an inquiry regarding the number of homicides in the District and how it stands in comparison to another major city and previous years.

      “The current number of homicides in DC stands at 138; at the same point last year, we experienced 184. This is a 25% reduction thus far this year. The 2008 total was 186. In 1991, DC recorded 479 homicides, its worst murder rate in the past 20 years. In the ensuing years, homicides progressively dropped in this city. This year, DC will record its lowest number of homicides in about four decades.”

      According to MPD, this achievement recognizes the joint efforts of MPD, District agencies, residents, and other community stakeholders.  Special kudos and thanks to Chief Cathy Lanier, 5D Commander Lamar Greene, 5D MPD Officers and Civilian Employees, Councilman Harry Thomas, Councilman Phil Mendelson, and to you.

      Robert Vinson Brannum

      Chairman, 5th District Citizens' Advisory Council, Inc. - www.5dcac.org

      President, Bloomingdale Civic Association, Inc.

      President, DC Federation of Civic Associations, Inc. - www.dcfca.org

      Make a difference in your community.

      Watch your US mail for your 2010 Census Form.

      www.census.dc. gov