Re: [MPD-4D] Today's Statement from Chief Cathy L. Lanier

  • Lanier, Cathy (MPD)
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 21, 2009
      Thank u Keith

      From: Keith Jarrell <keith.k.jarrell@...>
      To: MPD-4D@yahoogroups.com <MPD-4D@yahoogroups.com>; mpd-5d <mpd-5d@yahoogroups.com>
      Cc: Lanier, Cathy (MPD); Groomes, Diane (MPD); Burke, Patrick (MPD); Newsham, Peter (MPD); Greene, Lamar (MPD); Chisley-Missouri, Kimberly (MPD); Smith, Yvonne (MPD); Ennis, Ralph (MPD)
      Sent: Mon Dec 21 19:42:14 2009
      Subject: Re: [MPD-4D] Today's Statement from Chief Cathy L. Lanier

      Chief Lanier and all MPD -

      Chief Lanier, I for one greatly appreciate your frank and sincere approach to this incident. This type of response speaks volume to the many wonderful accomplishments the MPD and this city have experienced under your leadership.
      Your guidance and insight into the variable needs of our city has been phenomenal and without hesitation. You are head and shoulders the finest Chief of Police this city has ever had and clearly, you take your seat at the top of Chiefs of Police in our nation.
      Leadership is something that does not come without effort, education and thought. You apply yourself everyday to the comprehensive safety of this entire city, her many residents, and our vast amount of visitors and workers. We all know that you instill in every one of our officers the same clear cut approach of honesty, devotion and sincerity in how lead, train and live your life as our top cop. I am so very proud of our many time honored Police Officers and the truly fine job they do day in and day out.
      Everything from daily patrol, AHOD, Escorting Dignitaries, Homicide, School Patrol and so much more than I can think to name or perhaps even know about is improved and more efficient than ever. It is because of your leadership teamed with a great Senior Command Staff and rank and file officers that are proud of where the MPD is now in relationship to years ago, and proud to be a part of this great department.

      This one single Detective and his mistake is in no way a real reflection of the high level of commitment and integrity that most of our officers adhere to. As I said a few days ago, One Bad Apple Doesn't Spoil the Bunch. Today, I mean that more than ever. His lack of solid judgement comes when he failed to put into the place his many years of experience, tenure and training. His mistake in no way reflects on our fine officers, our Commanders, the Senior Command Staff or you. It in now way directs to "something that wasn't done." It is one officer, one bad mistake.

      I have no doubt the MPD under your Command will swiftly and appropriately handle this incident. And do so in the proper way, taking all the information from the investigation into consideration. It is simply how you do business!

      This city rests peacefully at night knowing that you are at the helm making decisions that effect the safety of each and every one of us. Along treating everyone of our beloved police officers with the respect and admiration you know they deserve.

      I speak for myself when I say that I will fully support what ever the decision is in this unfortunate circumstance. I know it will be the right one.

      Keith Jarrell

      On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 11:04 AM, Lanier, Cathy (MPD) <cathy.lanier@...> wrote:

      As Chief of Police, I wanted to respond to the many messages received to our police listserv groups last night in reference to the off-duty police officer's actions on last Saturday. I have reviewed the video clips and heard from the public. It is very obvious to me that the officer pulled his service weapon in response to the snowballs hitting his vehicle. I have no doubt about this, nor has the officer denied the accusations.

      Let me be very clear in stating that I believe the actions of the officer were totally inappropriate! In no way, should he have handled the situation in this manner. We have taken swift action by placing him on non-contact status until all the facts are gathered and discipline is handed down.

      This officer's conduct, in no way, reflects the training and the standards we hold each officer to at the Metropolitan Police Department. During the course of this horrendous snow storm, our officers worked hard and made many significant arrests for drug and burglary crimes, as well as gun recoveries. What is so disturbing is that, up until this incident, I had received several messages of thanks from the many people our officers assisted when their cars became disabled in the blizzard conditions. So it does not sit well with me that the negative actions of one officer has become "viral" during a time when so many officers have done so much good.

      I can assure you that we do take this matter very seriously and will handle it appropriately.

      The video clips and the number of witnesses willing to come forward have proven a point I have reiterated, you are the additional eyes and ears in the community and your feedback in solving criminal complaints is crucial.

      My office is receptive to this kind of information. I encourage all residents to remain active in our fight against crime and to know that at MPD, we believe no one is above the law.

      Cathy Lanier
      Chief of Police
      Metropolitan Police Department
      Washington, DC

      --
      Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
      P. J. O'Rourke

      Keith Jarrell
      Cell (202) 288-1867
      Fax (202) 315-2559