454 Arrests in 30 days; What Happens Next?

  • khenderson029@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2009
      Good Morning Neighbors:

      Dedicated officers of the Metropolitan Police Department made 454 arrests within a recent thirty-day period, underscoring 72 arrests here in Ward 5, including seizing 4 guns. How many of the arrested individuals will end up back on the street and committing the same crimes again? Once arrested individuals commit crimes and get released by the Court, they are emboldened to continue to commit crimes and are likely to return to your neighborhood. Let's face it, unless we address this matter, drug dealers, burglars, robbers and other assorted criminals will continue to undermine our public safety.

      5D Court Watch was designed to help judges get the message that we are tired of the revolving door that returns criminals to our neighborhoods to commit the same crimes again. Chief Judge Lee Satterfield gets it and supports our endeavor. Some of the other judges are out of touch with what goes on in our neighborhoods and do not understand how crime affects all of us. You can help to send a strong message to all judges that we want them to utilize the law to protect our communities from brazen criminal activity. Here's what you can do to stop the revolving door on crime: We need neighbors to

                                    1.  Make phone calls to judges chambers
                                    2.  Sit in the Courtroom when defendants are being tried for crimes
                                    3.  Write Community Impact Statements to be used at sentencing

      You can participate in any or all of these activities and remain anonymous. I invite you to attend the Court Watch meeting on December 2, 2009, at 6:30 PM at the Fifth District to get more information. Representatives from 3D and 4D Court Watch will attend this important meeting. We are asking the police to do more and we must do our part to help. Citizens working with law enforcement is the most effective way to fight crime. Can we count on you to get involved?

      Kathy Henderson