Tires slashed sunday and *still* trying to get a report taken

  • Rob Amos
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 4, 2005
      My tires (along with several other neighbors) were slashed Sunday
      night, and I have spent 2 days trying to get a report taken by the
      DC Police. Calls to 311 result in either 1) the phone reporting
      system is down, call back in a few hours, 2) we will have someone
      call you back from that division, or 3) lies - we called you today
      and left a message.

      I just called again (6:45 PM) and told the system was down and for
      me to clal back in an hour or two. When I pressed the issue, I was
      told that I could go back to my house and call in again and they
      would have an officer stop by (and some tiem this evening) and take
      the report in person. So now not only have I wasted 2 days efforts
      trying to report the crime, they now want me to waste an entire
      evening for someone to stop by the house to take a report. If the
      Police aren't interested in getting back to me on the issue, why
      should I wait around for them to show up sometime tonight? Calls to
      311 before have resulted in no response. Why would this call be any
      different?

      Just put this on the list of the list of the other joys of living at
      N and First NW:

      1) Crack house in the alley
      2) Prostitution all evening on the street, in the NY Avenue park and
      on the Dunbar School property
      3) Active open air drug deals taking place every evening on the
      school and park property (supposed 'drug free' zones)
      4) NY Avenue park taken over and is quickly becoming furnished
      housing for the homeless
      5) Reckless driving and speeding up and down the street at all hours
      6) Illegal (and unenforced) parking by out of state and un-
      registered cars/trucks.

      When will something be done to curb this activity. do we have to
      have the shootings start again on the block to get some police
      presence?

      And we want people to move here?
    • blclyde
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 5, 2005
        Hello Rob,

        Per the Eckington Listserv:

        Cleopatra Jones (ANC 5C02 Commishioner) is having a walk thru on Sat
        October 8th 11 am to 2 pm. Invited guests include Chief Ramsey, Robert
        Bobb, Vinny Orange, other Mayoral candidates and the community. Meet
        at Big Ben's at North Cap and NY Ave.

        It sounds like you've certainly done more than your part to report
        this crime. I have a lot of sympathy for your situation, as I've also
        posted a complaint to this forum and never had an MPD "outreach
        officer" bother to contact me, much less address my concern.

        Nonetheless, I hope you'll consider showing up for the walk-through -
        especially considering that Chief Ramsey is supposed to be there.
        Perhaps if you voice your complaint to these public figures in a
        public forum you'll get a more satisfactory response. If not, at
        least they'll have to squirm on the hotseat. Hopefully their
        discomfort will trickle downhill - perhaps even to the MPD folks who
        monitor this listserv (and who have chosen, I can't help but notice,
        to ignore your plaint thus far).

        Best of luck,

        Betsy