Lots of Shots Fired

  • kalston266@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 26, 2009
      Around 4:00 am Thursday morning, I woke up to hear several shots fired about 7 shots, then a break, 3 additional shots. I woke up. About 3 minutes later another round of shots. Then three minutes after that another round of shots. It sounded as if someone might be target practicing.

      Karen
    • Greene, Lamar (MPD)
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 27, 2009
        What area where the sounds coming from, please give me a point of reference, such as a school near by etc.

        Make a difference in your community.

        Watch your US mail for your 2010 Census Form.

        www.census.dc.gov

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 27, 2009
          The shots sounded close i.e. the alley, or HTC, or the grounds up at McKinley. Since there was a pause between shots, I assume the person was target practicing or shooting up in the air.

        • steven_conn@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 27, 2009
            I wish these idiots would use their own heads or bodies for target practice. It's only a matter of time before one of the stray bullets finds an innocent child / bystander waiting for the bus or driving by, etc.

            Bullets discharged into the air have to land somewhere.

            kalston wrote:

            > The shots sounded close i.e. the alley, or HTC, or the grounds up at McKinley. Since there was a pause between shots, I assume the person was target practicing or shooting up in the air.

          • Greene, Lamar (MPD)
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 27, 2009
              Thanks for the information, we did not find any shooting scenes in that area but I will give this information to PSA 501 patrolmen in that area

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 27, 2009
                I am sure during the day someone will find the empty shell casings. The shooting spree took a good ten minutes from start to finish, so there has to be a bunch of shells somewhere in the neighborhood.

                Karen

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 30, 2009
                  A lot of residents heard (and reported) these shots. I didn't, but my partner did and counted around 17 - from the unit block of R St NE.

                  The next evening around 6 or 7 there was again gunfire, this time possibly toward the unit block of Quincy Place NE.

                  In both these incidents, it sounded like the same shooter using the same gun. We got the impression someone had a new gun, couldn't wait, and fired off a bunch of rounds for the sheer hell of it.

                  Obviously the cost of ammunition wasn't an issue. Maybe the gun was part of a combo package or something.

                  It's hard - at least for someone with an untrained ear - to provide accurate details about gunfire unless the shooter is very near. I know DC's "canyons" are nothing compared to Manhattan's, but they make it harder to tell where sounds are coming from (especially if you're inside with the windows/doors closed).

                  MPD needs a Potemkin village where it can teach citizens how to accurately gauge the direction - and likely distance - of gunfire (assuming blanks sound like the real thing).

                  K.Lee