9 year old shot through his apartment door dies

  • Keith Jarrell
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 17, 2009
      *9 year old **Oscar Fuentes was killed as a gunman shot thru his front door.

      MPD responded to the call over the weekend. Sadly, this was most likely avoidable.

      Had DCRA performed their job properly and had the building been thoroughly inspected and the land lordbeen written up for non-compliance due to doors that did not lock and some didn't even have door knobs. The residents of this building and certainly 9 year old Oscar Fuentes did not receive the representation that they deserved from both DCRA or the Chair of the the Committee on Public Services and Consumer Affairs. to assure that they lived in a safe and fully inspected building.

      In addition, the entire system failed !* *A young energetic student is missing from his desk in school and many other students now have to look over at his empty desk and forever wonder why? By all accounts Oscar was a bright and engaged young pupil that was liked by everyone and always attended school.*

      I have to ask, where is the accountability in this city? Why don't we hold our elected officials to higher standards? Why didn't the Chair of the Oversight Committee and the other elected officials press DCRA Director Linda Argo for more compliance checks and higher standards for her inspectors? Why was this Landlord allowed to rent apartments in a building that was by all standards unsafe, and why now does Councilmember Jim Graham call for the gangs to be cleared out of only one building in the city instead of every building, and off of every street corner?

      Why because the building is in his Ward? Where is the Chair of the Oversight Committee on Public Safety and Consumer Affairs when senseless homicides such as this one take place that certainly could well have been avoided? I think it is time we hear from Councilmember Murial Bowser, Chair of this Committee on what she expects to do and WHEN to bring a higher level of engagement from the department that once again failed every resident of this city by not inspecting this building properly, and timely.

      I look forward to answers and I hope you do as well!

      Keith Jarrell