Re: [MPD-5D] first street shootings

  • helburnclu@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 21, 2005
      Commander Greene,
      Thank you for responding to the various postings about shootings in my
      neighborhood, and for reiterating your committment to addressing the
      drug and violence problems we are facing.

      However, your email implies that the only shooting this past weekend
      was at North Capitol and New York Ave. I wish that were the case, but
      that is incorrect. Like my neighbors, I have been awakened a few times
      over the last week by gunshots in the IMMEDIATE vicinity of my home by
      1st and Bates St., NW. Even with the weird acoustics created by all the
      concrete and brick in our neighborhood, there is absolutely no way that
      any of them were as 'far away' as North Capitol and New York Ave. They
      were all within a block of my home. Unfortunately I now have enough
      experience with hearing gunfire and later learning exactly where it
      occurred to be able to state with confidence that these shootings are
      IN ADDITION to the one at N. Capitol and NY Ave.

      Perhaps no one was hit in these shootings. But I hope that you will
      still assign them a high priority. Only luck and perhaps bad aim kept
      these from becoming another homicide statistic. Eventually they WILL
      hit someone, perhaps a hapless soul sitting in his or her living room.
      I pray that it does not take 'good aim' for gun-toting thugs to get the
      attention of the police.

      Jennifer