TONIGHT: fundraiser for local after-school program

  • Matt Ashburn
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 8, 2009
      Friends and neighbors,

      We hear a lot of discussion about crime, quality of life issues, and
      youth in our area. While it's good to talk about these issues, it's
      also important to take proactive action. In my personal opinion,
      there's little room to complain unless you're wiling to step up and do
      something. This is your chance, and it won't cost very much.

      The after-school program of the Wheatley School provides activities to
      youth after the end of the school day. Unfortunately, the program is
      greatly underfunded, with the government allotting only one thousand
      dollars per year for this program. I've been told that the program
      hasn't even received its allotted funding for the past several years.

      Trinidad Association, a local non-profit group, will hold a fundraiser
      TONIGHT (Oct 8) at 1103 Bladensburg Road NE. In exchange for a $20
      donation, you'll receive free food, drinks, music, and fellowship with
      other neighbors. Here are the details:

      Where: 1103 Bladensburg Road NE (Jimmy Valentine's)
      When: 6pm - 9pm
      Who: You and your friends and neighbors
      Why: Because $20 is a small amount to pay to help out a valuable yet
      underfunded (or, possibly, unfunded) after-school program.

      I, and the other owner of Capital City Diner, have pledged a donation
      to help this valuable program, and I encourage other local businesses
      and neighbors to do so as well. It's rewarding to support the
      betterment of the community, and this is a chance to do something
      great with a direct impact to the Trinidad neighborhood.

      As a proud Trinidad/Ward 5 resident, I'll be there tonight, and hope
      that you'll join me. If you cannot make it, you can still donate to
      this cause through Trinidad Association via Paypal:
      https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=8396771

      Thanks,

      Matt
      Capital City Diner