robbery at gun point coming home from Rhode Island Ave Metro

  • Steven Conn
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 27, 2009
      Dear neighbors,

      Tonight, around 8:35pm, on his way home from the Rhode Island Avenue Metro, my roommate was robbed at gunpoint. Two black males approached him from each side, stuck the gun in his stomach, and forced him around the corner at the Auto Zone on Rhode Island Avenue.

      They told him to "don't be f*cking stupid" and he obliged and gave over his wallet and Apple Touch. He ran home (about a block) and I immediately called 911. An officer showed up within 3-4 minutes, and while my roommate was still giving the description to the responding officer, the officers radio indicated other officers had apprehended two suspects walking up the sidewalk to that massive apartment complex behind the old National Wholesale Liquidators, matching the description, who also had a gun.

      My roommate went over and identified the two suspects as the two who robbed him.

      Kudos to the officers of MPD5D - for getting them so quickly! Great job! And hopefully, Eckington neighbors, you'll all join me in doing "community impact" statements to be sure these criminals serve respective time for what they've done.

      He is moving out immediately, and I'll have to find another roommate, which as always, isn't easy. This crime impacts all of us - whether through decreased home values, or hardships finding roommates to help pay mortgages, or putting ourselves in harms way (any of us could be robbed at gunpoint at anytime) - we need to make sure we act a as a community to tell the judiciary branch that they can't return gun wielding criminals to the streets!

      Best regards, and be careful out there!

      Steven

    • Greene, Lamar (MPD)
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 28, 2009
        It is unfortunate that he was a victim of the robbery, I am glad the officers were able to apprehend the subjects, we will be looking at these individuals for other robberies in that area. A court watch of these individuals is definitely a great idea.

      • faceartists@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 28, 2009
          Great job 5D!

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 28, 2009
            Great work. My father was robbed near there about five years ago, I do no think that he ever recovered (physically or emotionally) from it.

            Leslie
            Brookland

          • garyrahman@netzero.net
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 28, 2009
              Now that is police work you can be happy about.
              Gary Rahman

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 28, 2009
                Great job, 5D!

                Matt

                On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 11:45 PM, Steven Conn <steven_conn@...> wrote:

[...]

              • Lanier, Cathy (MPD)
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 28, 2009

                  Steven,

                  I agree with Commander Greene and also commend the officers for the quick apprehension.  You are also correct in your statement about the impact these kinds of assaults have on the entire community.  I will share this message with our Victims Services unit.  They can recommend counseling for your roommate.  Meanwhile, continue to be vigilant and report all suspicious activity to us via 9-1-1.

                  Cathy Lanier

                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 28, 2009

                    Hi Steven,

                    Can you share the court # or arrest #? As soon as this gets into the Court system we should see who the Judge is and from there it’s time to write impact statements.

                    You can count on one from me, I am tired of feeling like prey for these people. It’s time to let the court system know we expect the same results as our neighbors in Georgetown or Northern Virginia.

                    Thanks,

                    Tom Usselman

                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 28, 2009
                      Dear Neighbors and concerned residents,

                      First, thanks again to the officers who arrested the suspects so quickly - their work was a perfect symphony of cooperation and teamwork!

                      And thanks to everyone for coming together, to offer their support for my roommate and the officers uber efficient work!

                      I'm no lawyer, but as I understand it, we'll first have to wait for the judicial process to run its course, after which we'll be able to communicate to the judge in charge of sentencing, and that's when the community impact statements from the community in which the criminals operate will be most effective!

                      So, I'll send out info on coming together to offer the judge community impact statements at a later date, when the information will be most useful to him or her, in deciding the sentence!

                      But for the time being, here is the information from the weekend crime report:

                      Crime report info:

                      ------------ --------- --------- --------- ----
                      PSA: 501
                      CCN: 09139009
                      RPT DATE: Sep 27, 2009
                      SHIFT: EVN
                      OFFENSE: Robbery
                      METHOD: Gun
                      BLOCK: 600 B/O RHODE ISLAND AVE NE
                      LOCATION: Sidewalk
                      START DT: 09/27/2009
                      START TM: 20:25:00
                      END DT: 09/27/2009
                      END TM:

                      Best regards, and again - be safe out there! This has certainly opened my eyes that none of us are immune to street violence and could get a gun jabbed in our ribs whenever and wherever we are... If I could get a set of peepers installed in the back of my head, I would! :)

[...]

                      • Thomas, Harry (COUNCIL)
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 29, 2009
                          Steve just wanted to update you and others that commander green of 5 d gave an update last night of increased protection and steps to ensure increased safety around the metro stations. Thanks for your email my office will continue to work with 5d and the community for continued public safety measures.

                          Sent from my Windows Mobile® phone.

                        • khenderson029@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 29, 2009
                            Steven:

                            I am glad your roommate got through the ordeal. You are on point with the community impact statement. We have additional tools to make our communities safer and we will utilize them. Stay tuned for the upcoming 5D Court
                            Watcth meeting.

                            Kathy Henderson