Re: Troublesome buildings--2600 block of Reed St NE

  • baringlake
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 6, 2005
      Captain Burke and Ms. Henderson:
      I wanted to follow-up on this posting from this spring, as there have
      been some updates. This is regarding the empty warehouses at 805
      Channing Place NE, 806 Channing Place NE, and 809 Channing Place NE.
      They are right off of the 2500-2600 block of Reed St NE, near the
      Calvary Christian Academy and the uniform shop in the 900 block of
      Rhode Island NE.

      When I originally contacted this list-serve, I had mentioned that the
      fencing around the warehouses had been pulled aside, allowing drug
      users and prostitutes to get in. With the help of this list-serve, the
      fencing was repaired, and that seemed to keep down the number of
      people roaming around those warehouses.

      Unfortunately, someone has opened up the fencing to this warehouse.
      This isn't just someone pulling it down this time. Someone unlocked
      the gates and left the warehouses wide open. I have seen the fencing
      open at all times of day -- morning, afternoon and night. At the very
      least, this is a danger to the children next door at Calvary Christian
      Academy. It's also starting to attract drug users and prostitutes
      again, who can now enter the warehouse with ease.

      I had also made a request to the city last spring that the graffiti be
      removed, especially since there appear to be some gang markings. I
      didn't see graffiti removed, so I made another request last week.

      The folks on the list-serve had been helpful in securing the
      warehouses last spring, so I'm hoping that I can get some help in
      making the owner re-secure the warehouse and possibly allow the city
      to clean up the graffiti that is all over the warehouses.

      As for the owner, the building is owned by a company called "Jemal's
      Channing Place LLC," and the mailing address (702 H ST NW; WASHINGTON
      DC 20001) is the same address as Douglas Development. There's also a
      "for lease" sign on the building that lists Douglas Development at
      202-638-6300.

      Captain Burke and Ms. Henderson, could you look into this and reach
      out to the owner again?

      Thanks so much,
      Jen