Car break-ins

  • alligirouard
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 8 9:58 AM
      Good morning-

      I have lived here for almost two years and have never had a problem
      with theft or burgulary. Two weeks ago, my 10-year-old car was broken
      into and my bike and sunglasses stolen out of it. Both our cars were
      parked right on Rhode Island Avenue between 1st street NW and North
      Capital. I filed a police report by phone.

      Just today, I received a call from my boyfriend who lives with me in
      the 100 block of Rhode Island Ave, NW. His 20-year-old car was broken
      into last night and his stereo and speakers stolen. His car was not
      new, and his equipment was by no means fancy, expensive, or flashy.

      I know minor theft is not a huge priority, but I think that it is a
      problem that heavily affects the quality of life for residents. I have
      been reviewing the police reports and am astonished to see the high
      numbers of car burgularies within a 5-block radius.

      I think that cars should be fingerprinted after the theft is reported
      (as is the standard in Virginia, no matter what was stolen). It is
      quite obvious that this is a recent pattern and it's likely that the
      same people are breaking into the cars in this area. Other than
      requiring increased police presence at all hours of the night, I can
      think of no other way to deter this sort of activity. We all know
      that loud, expensive alarms go unheeded. And I am afraid that with no
      action, it will quickly escalate into house break-ins.

      Comments? Suggestions? Thank you for your time-
      AMG