Permission to Give, Mr. Mayor?

  • Garett Jones
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2005
      Response to the Email from the Mayor's Office (original email below)
      So for those of us who want to be there to welcome the displaced residents when they arrive, what can we do, Mr. Desi Deshaine?  Also, I heard today that the air conditioning at the DC Armory is not working today.  Please tell me that is not true?  Also, what agency is taking the lead on this effort and what else can we do besides sending money to the Red Cross?  The Red Cross is nice and I have given to them, but I want to do more, because the money I gave to the Red Cross might be paying for an employee to travel to the disaster area and I want to know that I am directly making a difference in the life of a displaced U.S. Citizen.  I have men's clothing available that I don't wear anymore.  The clothes are clean and ironed.  Why can't I offer it to any of the men who are coming to the city from the disaster area?  The mayor should know that DC residents want to help and give.  We want this city to be READY, PREPARED for those members.  When they get off that bus, they need to feel welcomed, safe, and relieved.
      They need to know how to file for unemployment insurance,
      how to get new ID if they don't have it,
      how to file loss claims with their insurance companies,
      how to enroll their children in safe and academically-safe and successful schools,
      where to look for jobs,
      where to find clothing and housing and furniture,
      where they can find churches and ministries from every denomination,
      how to use the Metro Stations,
      They should be assigned a family who can serve as a local contact for them.  I know volunteers will come forward if you let them.
      They need to know that what they have heard about the mean streets of the nation's capitol are not true.  They need to feel safe in their communities.  Please answer these questions, because from what channel 7 is saying tonight, the mayor's office is in over their heads with this and not as prepared as they want us to think and people will arrive here, with little preparedness.  After all that we have seen in the past couple of days, "preparedness" should be the word of the year.