RE: 311 problem

  • Toby Susse
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 31, 2005
      What are the laws in this city for "verbal harassment and improper
      conduct"? What is the threshold at which something said on the street
      becomes a crime?

      I've heard terrible language used throughout the city by people of all
      races/sexes/nationalities/ages/etc. that is offensive, demeaning,
      intimidating, sexually or violently suggestive, etc. (including times
      directed at me as a passerby) which I believe we should take a strong
      stand against as a community. I believe the general culture of the city
      (and country, for that matter) tolerates lewd and offensive language too
      much and sets a bad example for children and teenagers.

      But not once have I thought that such behavior, by itself, is illegal.
      That includes times when I have been yelled at walking on the street
      with such language as "you $*#*% f-ing faggot" by people who certainly
      could have physically overtaken me and made me feel unsafe - I would say
      my liberties were violated, but I still don't think it makes it illegal.
      Regardless, I do think it is reasonable and advisable to report such
      behavior if one feels threatened to 311 in order to alert the police to
      a possible threat to safety in the neighborhood, whether or not it is
      illegal or not. We should all work to making sure that it is safe and
      comfortable for any law-abiding person to walk in our neighborhoods.

      So, can someone from MPD or someone involved with DC Law clarify what
      the law is and at what point offensive and lewd remarks in public are
      considered "verbal harassment and improper conduct"? At what point does
      freedom of speech no longer apply?

      Thanks.

      Toby on 13th

      "please believe me that anyone of ANY race who tells me they want to
      "stick it in me" and other such charming offers is violating MY
      liberties. (FYI, Toby, I believe it is considered verbal harassment and
      improper conduct, which are both against DC law.)"
    • Bill and Rob
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 31, 2005
        May I repeat myself. Let the police department speak
        for itself. John, is recommending censorship.

        Bill
        10th and Hamlin

        --- Mary Ann <maryannwilmer@...> wrote:

        > Applause, applause, applause. Like you, I am a
        > casual observer of this
        > listserve and most often I choose not to read the
        > messages because of
        > their content... and so, they get deleted unread.
        > I'm probably denying
        > myself access to relevant information about public
        > safety but the tone
        > of too many of the messages saddens me. I have
        > lived in Ward 5 for
        > more the 20 years and the sentiments of my fellow
        > Ward Fivers about each
        > other is very troubling. In the words of Rodney
        > King..."Can't we all
        > get along?"
        >
        > Thank you for your response.
        >
        > Mary Ann Wilmer

        rcement+academy&w2=Law+enforcement+schools&w3=Law+enforcement+training&w

        4=Law+enforcement+degree&w5=Law+enforcement+on+line+class&w6=Law+enforce
        > ment+schools&c=6&s=180&.sig=rb0WlT82LBQ2RNi4coaZew>
        > enforcement academy
        > Law

        rcement+academy&w2=Law+enforcement+schools&w3=Law+enforcement+training&w

        4=Law+enforcement+degree&w5=Law+enforcement+on+line+class&w6=Law+enforce
        > ment+schools&c=6&s=180&.sig=_11xk-GdaULdrAXXUw7b5Q>
        > enforcement schools
        > Law

        orcement+academy&w2=Law+enforcement+schools&w3=Law+enforcement+training&

        w4=Law+enforcement+degree&w5=Law+enforcement+on+line+class&w6=Law+enforc
        > ement+schools&c=6&s=180&.sig=sxWQGc404mfxxSu03o1Q-A>
        > enforcement
        > training
        > Law

        cement+academy&w2=Law+enforcement+schools&w3=Law+enforcement+training&w4

        =Law+enforcement+degree&w5=Law+enforcement+on+line+class&w6=Law+enforcem
        > ent+schools&c=6&s=180&.sig=KBHLT4St9MYRJZjiwKVjvA>
        > enforcement degree
        > Law

        w+enforcement+academy&w2=Law+enforcement+schools&w3=Law+enforcement+trai

        ning&w4=Law+enforcement+degree&w5=Law+enforcement+on+line+class&w6=Law+e

        nforcement+schools&c=6&s=180&.sig=4heCQZ8Im8EcHh1q-fHfNQ>

        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 31, 2005
          The cover page to the 4D-Neighbors website shows the
          area covered by MPD-4D that includes part of Ward 5:

          MPD-5D's are can be seen through this link:
          http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/cwp/view,a,1239,Q,545954,mpdcNav_GID,1538.asp

          Joseph Martin
          Group Moderator

          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs