"Safe" Parking

  • girlcapsfan
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 11, 2005
      Greetings -

      I'm wondering if you could offer some advice?

      Can you recommend safe and LEGAL parking near the Rhode Island
      Metro? The dilemma: Metro Parking fills up quickly every weekday
      morning. I was - yes, I know I wasn't supposed to - parking near
      Giant. I recently received a ticket and a warning to not park there
      again.

      I know that is not a commuter parking lot; however, my alternative
      is to walk home in the evenings by myself and quite frankly I do not
      feel safe doing so. As you know, during the winter it's dark by 5PM
      and I'm just wondering if you or anyone else can offer any
      suggestions?

      Thank you.

      Sincerely -
      A concerned resident
    • Barba, Jennifer (MPD)
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 12, 2005
        In response to the inquiry for the safe parking alternative regarding the Rhode Island Avenue metro station. The shopping center in the 600 Block of Rhode Island Avenue NE, (Safeway/National Wholesale Liquidators/etc.) offers parking facilities that are gated. The parking lot is located along the train tracks, there is a "guard shack" where a parking attendant will give a parking stub and receive funds for daily parking. There is an approximate fee of $4 per day to park which is economical considering the alternatives are tickets or towing of your vehicle from the private lot at Giant. The walking distance to the station is about the same, you would need to walk over Rhode Island Avenue's pedestrian over-pass to get to the station. I hope this information helps.

        Ofc. Jennifer Barba
        PSA 501
        Fifth District
        ________________________________

        I'm wondering if you could offer some advice?

        Can you recommend safe and LEGAL parking near the Rhode Island
        Metro? The dilemma: Metro Parking fills up quickly every weekday
        morning. I was - yes, I know I wasn't supposed to - parking near
        Giant. I recently received a ticket and a warning to not park there
        again.

        I know that is not a commuter parking lot; however, my alternative
        is to walk home in the evenings by myself and quite frankly I do not
        feel safe doing so. As you know, during the winter it's dark by 5PM
        and I'm just wondering if you or anyone else can offer any
        suggestions?

        Thank you.

        Sincerely -
        A concerned resident

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Craig, Donald (MPD)
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 13, 2005
          Hi,

          I have to agree with Officer Barba on this one. That lot in the shopping center is probably your best bet. The price is right and your car will be pretty safe. We have had very few problems in the shopping center and most of that has been on the end of 4th Street. I hope this helps. If you have any other concerns please feel free to e-mail or call (office 202-727-4478). By the way. My condolences on the hockey season (or the lack thereof). Take care.

          Lt. Sam Craig

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 14, 2005
            Thank you to everyone for their feedback! I'll try either the
            Safeway lot - or I'm looking into the bus route too - I don't live
            too far away from the station (it's very walkable), I'm just nervous
            about walking down 4th at night and I often have to work late or in
            class.

            Thanks again for your feedback and for all that you do to keep us
            safe!

            (Lt. Craig, I can't tell you how bored I've been w/o some good
            hockey action! Have a great day!)

            Regards -
            Marisa

            --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Craig, Donald \(MPD\)"