Re: Minor Crime/TRASH/Nuisance

  • bleulibra
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 29, 2005
      I live on 1st St, near the N Street intersection as well and have
      too been very frustrated with trash and public intoxication. I just
      recently found this listserv and want to say thank you. I didn't
      know that it was acceptable to call the police for such distubances
      as trash and drinking. I will step up the calling to 311!

      Sarah
      1st and N NW

      --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "yvehunt" <yvehunt@y...> wrote:
      > In responds to everybody's frustrations with the public drinking
      and
      > urinating I to also get tired off watching drunks and drug addicts
      > as well as the drug dealers urinating and throwing trash all over
      > the neighborhood and even on homeowners property. The reasons why
      > we have so much trash in our neighborhoods is because of the
      S.O.M.E
> [...]
      > doing a good service by helping those that are in need, homeowners
      > do have a right to a safe and clean environment and not have their
      > property value in jeopardy as well.
      >

      > --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "erheramb" <erheramb@y...> wrote:
      > > It is frustrating to wait around 2.5 hours but the community has
      > > do what it has to do. From attending PSA meetings, etc. for the
      > > past year I have learned that the police respond to statistics
      so
      > if
      > > a large amount of calls are being placed in one area then there
      > > might be more pressure for the police to do something about the
      > > problems. I probably call 311 2-3 times a day for drinking in
      > > public, urinating, etc. and sometimes there is a quick response
      > and
      > > sometimes there is not but I know that I am not going to give
      up!
      > > Keep the police accountable! It is frustrating but the more the
      > > police and the District know that people are holding them
      > > accountable, I have to hope, that we will receive better
      support.
      > > Oh, and when I see police letting people (drunks, etc.) go
      without
      > > iding, etc. I write down their car number or go up to them and
      get
      > > their card if they have one and, then, have talked with the
      > Captain
      > > about this matter. Please feel free to do the same. And, PSA
      502
      > > is, on all acounts except for robbery, having higher crime
      > > statistics than last year at this time (learned this from
      > attending
      > > my PSA meeting in July) so the police should be feeling more
      > > pressure to do something other than drive by.
      > > Erin
      > > 10th
      > > --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, Rob Amos <robamos@y...> wrote:
      > > > Calling 311 doesn't seem to do any good. I called 2 nights ago
      > and
      > > it took them 2.5 hours to respond .... and then they let the one
      > > vagrant left to stumble up the street. Then they (the police)
      > picked
      > > up a few of their empty bottles/cans and threw them away in the
      > > trash can. When I called there were 6 folks drinking (and passed
      > out
      > > at times) across the street from my house.
      > > >
      > > > "Harway, Sonya A. 25HARWAY" <25harway@c...> wrote:Call 311 and
      > > encourage your neighbors to do the same. The term for blocking
      > > sidewalks is "incommoding"; report the public drinking, public
      > > urination, incommoding, littering, etc. Don't hesitate to call
      911
      > > for more serious offenses; it's there for you to use in times of
      > > duress! It sounds like this is an area that needs increased
      patrol
      > > anyway, so even if no one is arrested (don't get your hopes up)
      at
      > > least there will be an increased police presence and they might
      > ask
      > > people to move on. For now it will be a temporary fix as these
      > > people will probably return as soon as the police turn the
      corner,
      > > but if residents in your neighborhood continue to show their
      > > disapproval and police continue to patrol the area, the no-goods
      > > will realize that this is no longer a friendly environment for
      > them
      > > to continue breaking the law.
      > > >
      > > > -Sonya
      > > > (10th and Douglas NE)

      EVERYWHERE.
      > > > can't tell you how much trash. It is disgusting and a blight
      on
      > > our
      > > > neighborhood. I pick up what I can, but it doesn't matter,
      > > because
      > > > the next day, it's covered in trash. I've never seen so much
      > > trash.
      > > >
      > > > My questions are: Isn't drinking in public illegal? Isn't
      > > littering
      > > > illegal? Is it legal to just take over a public park and
      > sidewalk
      > > > and make it a campground? Yesterday, a police officer pulled
      > over
      > > > motorist and saw this, including 2 people getting drunk out of
      > > > paper bag, and a man totally passed out (could've been dead)
      and