Gay man's alleged killer faces misdemeanor

  • brian.ions
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 17, 2009
      Gay man's alleged killer faces misdemeanor charge

      By CHRIS JOHNSON, Washington Blade, 7/16/09

      Chris Farris, co-chair of D.C. Gays & Lesbians Opposing Violence, and
      said he was "very disappointed" in his city and that the U.S. Justice
      Department owes D.C. citizens an explanation "for this outrageous
      decision."

      "With this charge, Washington, D.C. has sent a clear and disturbing
      message to its citizens," he said. "If you kill a gay man, just say he
      groped you."

      =====
      Charge: Injustice GLOV calls misdemeanor indictment against gay man's
      alleged attacker "disgusting" by Yusef Najafi, MetroWeekly, 7/16/09

      Farris and his GLOV co-chair, Todd Metrokin, have criticized the United
      States Attorney's Office for the District of Columbia (USAO-DC) for
      accepting a claim by Hannah that Hunter groped him, leading to the
      attack. GLOV has also criticized USAO-DC for not interviewing a second
      victim, who was with Hunter during the attack, immediately following the
      attack, and for charging only Hannah.

      "If they have evidence that they're not telling us, put it on the
      table," Farris says. "The grand jury has come back, [and] the rules for
      secrecy no longer apply. Tell us what the basis for your actions are. We
      have the right to know. You are there to protect us."
    • Celestine Lara
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 17, 2009
        Brian,

        Why is this being posted here?

        Did this happen in MPD-5D?

        Thanks,

        CL

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 18, 2009

          Let’s see…

          Violence happens against a minority in the city… the US Attorneys’ office indicts the alleged murderer with a bogus charge… And that office is apparently hiding evidence… I think it’s perfectly appropriate to post this here. Brian is trying to make sure that people in 5D know what they’re up against if they are gay and attacked in the city. Seems pretty reasonable to me to see it here.

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 18, 2009
            Well, Celestine, I guess first, I'm wondering why you are implying an
            objection to the reporting of this *DC crime and punishment topic* here
            on the MPD-5D listserv. Let's start with the fact that a gay man was
            *KILLED* as the result of a alleged criminal act in this city.

            Do you really want to Balkanize the relevance of violent *HOMICIDES* on
            the MPD listservs? If a homicide occurs on the north side of Taylor
            street, must I hold my concern here and join the 4D listserv to express
            it??? Does that go for any hate crime as well? Certainly, I'd like to
            think that it's not the fact that this is a gay-related homicide that
            bothers you.

            However, I presume you are aware that many GLBT people live throughout
            Ward 5 and MPD's 5th District. Many area residents, both GLBT and
            straight, are keenly interested in the manner and fairness with which
            potential hate crimes (and DC's Bias-Related Crimes Act) here and
            throughout the city are investigated and/or enforced by MPD and USAO-DC.

            BTW, *hate crimes* is a subject Mayor Fenty and Chief Lanier have voiced
            deep concern with as well. They have both met with GLOV. Elements of
            this case were also covered, in part, by testimony in front of DC
            Council hearings.

            Moreover, this case received a good bit of scrutiny in the gay
            mainstream press by outstanding GLBT journalists. And if my links to
            those current news articles (in both the Blade and MetroWeekly) in my
            last post had not been intentionally *CENSORED* and deleted by the
            MPD-5D moderator(s) here, you and other interested citizens would have
            been able to to simply read the complete news articles with just a click
            or 2. Here they are again...

            http://www.washblade.com/thelatest/thelatest.cfm?blog_id=26253
            <http://www.washblade.com/thelatest/thelatest.cfm?blog_id=26253>

            http://www.metroweekly.com/gauge/?ak=4397
            <http://www.metroweekly.com/gauge/?ak=4397>

            I believe Chief Lanier is serious about making DC's GLBT residents feel
            welcome to participate throughout all of MPD's Districts. Accordingly,
            I hope she will direct that her MPD District Listserv moderators and/or
            District Commanders refrain from censoring links to such relevant news
            stories in the Blade and MetroWeekly-- irrespective of their
            occassionally critical scrutiny of MPD or USDOJ.

            Relevant crime and punishment news articles from the Post, Times, DCist,
            The Examiner and various news broadcast stations are frequently quoted
            and/or linked here. And every day of the week, professional MPD police
            officers and prosecutors face much tougher opponents-- on the streets
            and in the courts.

            This is America. A free press and the free expression of its citizens
            on civic matters-- especially those expressions critical of our
            government-- has always made all of us better.

            brian
            on Newton/ 502

            --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, Celestine Lara <celestine.lara@...>
            wrote:

            > Brian,
            > Why is this being posted here?
            > Did this happen in MPD-5D?
            > Thanks,
            >
            > CL
            >
            > ________________________________

          • Peter Pawlowski
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 18, 2009
              Brian,

              Thank you for posting this here it is important to see the institutionalized prejudice that exists within the city.

              Peter

              To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com; brian.ions@...
              From: celestine.lara@...
              Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 20:06:39 -0700

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 19, 2009
                Just again, following up on Celestine's inquiry, and other members'
                comments here-- and for the benefit of all 5D GLBT residents and
                interested or curious straight residents of 5D...

                First, please note MPD's Gay and Lesbian Liaison Unit (GLLU) phone
                number and link...

                http://gllu.org/ <http://gllu.org/>

                The best way to get a quick response is to page (leave your call back
                number) GLLU @
                1-877-495-5995 (If an emergency, Dial 911)

                GLOV (Gays and Lesbians Opposing Violence) has a number of helpful and
                informative links, as well...

                http://www.thedccenter.org/programs_glov.html
                <%20http://www.thedccenter.org/programs_glov.html>

                PDF File of GLOV Safety Tips:

                http://www.thedccenter.org/docs/glov/safetytips.pdf
                <http://www.thedccenter.org/docs/glov/safetytips.pdf>

                Additional Info Links, RE: Hate Crimes Enforcement by MPD/ USAO...

                Washington City Paper/Hess:
                GLBT Activists Meet With Fenty on Hate Crimes

                <http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/sexist/2009/01/16/activists-me\
                et-with-fenty-on-hate-crimes/>
                D.C. Mayor Adrian Fenty and Police Chief Cathy Lanier agreed to increase
                the city's efforts to fight anti-gay hate crimes...
                <http://www.washblade.com/2009/1-23/news/localnews/13962.cfm>
              • Celestine Lara
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 20, 2009
                  Thanks, Brian.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 20, 2009
                    Your welcome, Celestine.  Yours was obviously a brief, honest, curious question, and I apologize for any inference that it was anything other than that.  Those of us in the GLBT community are obviously keenly interested and sensitive to this issue.

                    I do try, when excerpting news stories or articles, to link to the *entire* article, as a courtesy to the reader as well as the author(s).  FYI, here's another recent report on the case from ABC News 7...

                    http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0709/641169_video.html?ref=newsstory

                    You have a great day!

                    brian
                    on Newton/ PSA 502

                    --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, Celestine Lara <celestine.lara@...> wrote:

                    > Thanks, Brian.

                  • brian.ions
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 2, 2009
                      In the interest of fairness and just to wrap up this previous *Hannah case* thread-- I meant to put this up last week, but am not quite back to speed f/ recent surgery...
                      ---
                      Reduced charge explained in gay man's death
                      Prosecutors say victim `impaired' by alcohol, witness unreliable

                      Washington Blade
                      Sep 25, 2009  |  By: Lou Chibbaro Jr.

                      A friend of gay beating death victim Tony Randolph Hunter presented inconsistent and contradictory information to police and prosecutors about events leading to Hunter's death in September 2008, according to a sentencing memorandum.

                      The 14-page memorandum, filed in D.C. Superior Court on Monday, also says a medical test shows that Hunter was intoxicated at the time of the attack and that Hunter's "inability to break his backward fall" might have been a contributing factor in his death.

                      The sentencing memorandum marks the first time prosecutors have disclosed information — long sought by gay activists — on why they initially charged defendant Robert Hannah, 19, with manslaughter rather than murder in connection with Hunter's death, and why they presented evidence to a grand jury that led to Hannah's indictment on and guilty plea to one misdemeanor assault charge.

                      Full story here...
                      http://www.washblade.com/2009/9-25/news/localnews/15217.cfm
                      ---

                      Critics are free to speculate.  But obviously, MPD and USAO-DC must maintain silence while a criminal prosecution runs its course, divulging only what it's permitted by the Courts, without prejudice.

                      Just to answer one who contacted me offlist...  A few may have read more into my previous article reprints in the GLBT press than was there.  The fact is, I never took a position, speculative or otherwise, on the Hannah case, as I (along with nearly everyone else) did not know the facts.  Moreover, early on, we,
                      on the BrooklandGLBT listserv, were also given an indication that MPD and USAO viewed an allegation of bias-related motive as problematic in the case.

                      Notwithstanding, to the extent that this case, and speculation about it, created sharp criticism within the GLBT community of MPD and USAO-DC across the city, it was important to bring those community concerns and passions, as reflected in the GLBT press, to the attention of of the MPD and USAO-DC communities.

                      To paraphrase former GLLU head, Sgt. Brett Parson, "perception is reality" in some instances.  Understanding the passions at any given time of any minority community, not normally followed by most MPD officers, may provide insight and advantage into defusing any minority-related incident that responding officers might not have otherwise.

                      Finally, I know I speak for many in the GLBT community, in extending to Sgt. Brett Parson our profound gratitude for his extraordinary leadership and service to MPD's highly-acclaimed Gay and Lebian Liaison Unit (since 2001)-- and to city residents, both GLBT and straight.  Sgt. Parson, at his request, has returned to his first love, "patrol and street-level policing" in 6D.  GLLU's loss is definitely 6D's gain.  We wish Sgt. Parson (and his new patrol team) every success and happiness.  Thanks a bunch for your service, Sergeant Parson!

                      brian
                      on Newton/ PSA 502