Re: Prostitution

  • baringlake
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 23 10:22 AM
      I don't want to speak for Erin, but when I read the post, I thought
      she was just trying to give as much information as possible so that
      the folks at 5D could figure out exactly which police officer it was.
      Along with race, she also mentioned patrol car number, hair style, and
      gender.

      Hope that helps clear things up!
      Jen

      --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, gwensouth@a... wrote:
      > Erin,
      >
      > What is your reason or purpose for pointing out the race of the MPD
      officer?
      > Would a Caucasian officer have made a difference in making Judy put her
      > clothes on? I'm not sure it was you, but I do recall an earlier
      post concerning a
      > group of youth smoking pot and the citizens flagged down an MPD
      officer. That
      > post also made a point of noting that the MPD officer was African
      American.
      > Please explain why the race of the officer would be of importance.
      Maybe I'm

    • gwensouth@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 23 8:06 PM
        Thanks Jen...that would make sense I suppose.  Giving the patrol car number and perhaps the date and time would have made more sense to me.  I get a little bit sensitive when race is used.  Chalk it up to growing up in segregated DC and the Jim Crow era.

        I tend to look more at behaviors more so than race.  Unless there was a criminal act taking place and even then there has to be a description of the person other than merely race, although she did describe the hair style.  I could not fathom her reason to point out the race of the officer.  I am not one to "play the race card," but I do recognize the undertones of racism when I hear and see it.  Let's hope you are correct!

        Gwen Southerland

        In a message dated 08/23/2005 2:55:07 PM Eastern Standard Time, baringlake@... writes:
        I don't want to speak for Erin, but when I read the post, I thought
        she was just trying to give as much information as possible so that
        the folks at 5D could figure out exactly which police officer it was.
        Along with race, she also mentioned patrol car number, hair style, and
        gender.

        Hope that helps clear things up!
        Jen

        --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, gwensouth@a... wrote:
        > Erin,
        >
        > What is your reason or purpose for pointing out the race of the MPD
        officer?
        > Would a Caucasian officer have made a difference in making Judy put her
        > clothes on?  I'm not sure it was you, but I do recall an earlier
        post concerning a
        > group of youth smoking pot and the citizens flagged down an MPD
        officer.  That
        > post also made a point of noting that the MPD officer was African
        American.
        > Please explain why the race of the officer would be of importance.
        Maybe I'm
        > missing something in your post.
        >
        > Gwen Southerland
        >

        > In a message dated 08/21/2005 10:20:56 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        > erheramb@y... writes:
        > This morning at 6:38am I contacted 311 in regards to our neighborhood
        > prostitute "Judy" who was showing her bare breast on the corner of
        > 10th St. NE and RIA NE.  For the past week I have contacted 311 every
        > morning around this time due to her solicitation.  At 6:41 I witnessed
        > patrol car 522 (African American female with short hair driving and
        > did not see what partner looked like) pull up to Judy, with her bra
        > showing, did not get out of car, talked to her for 2-3 minutes and
        > then drive away.  Shouldn't officers be iding these people, getting
        > out of their vehicle, etc.?  AND guess what it is 6:50am and Judy is
        > back out on the corner of 10th St. NE and RIA NE!!! SHOCKER!  I would
        > really like a response to this ASAP as to expectations of citizens and
        > what we should expect of our 5D officers.
        > Erin
        > 10th

        Click Here!">Make a difference. Find and fund world-changing projects at GlobalGiving.

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • erheramb
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 23 8:26 PM
          Gwen and all others who may be wondering,
          My purpose/reason for pointing out the race was for whoever is
          responsible for these officers to be able to identify them. If the
          driver was white, orange, red, green, etc. I would have wrote that
          but the driver was an African American female with short dark hair.
          So, my reason was for identifying purposes only. And, no I was not
          the one who wrote about the youth smoking pot BUT I can assure you
          that when I do write, call, speak with people about my concerns I
          let them know as much description about the person/people that I am
          talking about- for identity purposes only.
          Erin
          10th

        • gwensouth@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 24 11:06 AM

            Erin,

            Glad you cleared that up.  I have had occasions to make a complaint on an officer, but it never crossed my mind to state the race of the officer.  Often the patrol number, tag number, badge number, name, time, date and location was sufficient enough to identify the officer.

            I am a ferocious opponent of employees who do not perform their jobs. I have been a consistent critic of MPD when I felt they were not doing their jobs effectively, and they know this.  But never once have I injected their racial ethnicity into any complaint.

            For information purposes, when describing Africans-Americans, one must have as much detailed information as possible, such as color of skin, facial features, height/weight, etc.  A blanket description of "black male/female" or "African-American" stigmatizes the entire race.  I have had to bring this stigmatization to the News Media as well.

            As you know, we live in a country that has a long history of negatively portraying its African-American citizens who have made great contributions in this country. There are times when a racial description is necessary, but focus on the behaviors.  You will have more supporters for your concerns.

            As I mentioned in my previous post, I DO NOT play the "race card" so this is not that game.  My intent is to gently bring to your attention that by you using the race of the MPD officer, you are dealing the hand of a racially charged game that we do not need in this city.

            As to your concerns about the prostitution, I am in agreement totally with you.  This has been a problem on Rhode Island Avenue and other areas for a long time.  Many, many times, I have brought this problem to MPD, asking them why not arrest the Johns.  An MPD officer told me that it would not stop prostitution and I strongly disagreed.  This problems MUST be stopped.  For it brings a very undesirable element into our communities, including the drug problem which brings the killings.  So MPD has to bring this problem to a screeching halt.

            A letter writing campaign to Chief Ramsey is one way to address this particular issue.  He must do something to stop the influx of prostitution, drugs, illegal guns on our city streets.  If he, Chief Ramsey, cannot resolve this problem, then he needs to be terminated and we the citizens must demand that he leave and leave now.  We can no longer tolerate these behaviors by miscreants, criminals and other undesirables in our city.

            Gwen Southerland

            In a message dated 08/24/2005 10:05:20 AM Eastern Standard Time, erheramb@... writes:
            Gwen and all others who may be wondering,
            My purpose/reason for pointing out the race was for whoever is
            responsible for these officers to be able to identify them.  If the
            driver was white, orange, red, green, etc. I would have wrote that
            but the driver was an African American female with short dark hair.
            So, my reason was for identifying purposes only.  And, no I was not
            the one who wrote about the youth smoking pot BUT I can assure you
            that when I do write, call, speak with people about my concerns I
            let them know as much description about the person/people that I am
            talking about- for identity purposes only.
            Erin
            10th
            --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, gwensouth@a... wrote:
            > Erin,
            >
            > What is your reason or purpose for pointing out the race of the
            MPD officer?
            > Would a Caucasian officer have made a difference in making Judy
            put her
            > clothes on?  I'm not sure it was you, but I do recall an earlier
            post concerning a
            > group of youth smoking pot and the citizens flagged down an MPD
            officer.  That
            > post also made a point of noting that the MPD officer was African
            American.
            > Please explain why the race of the officer would be of
            importance.  Maybe I'm
            > missing something in your post.
            >
            > Gwen Southerland
            >

            > In a message dated 08/21/2005 10:20:56 AM Eastern Standard Time,
            > erheramb@y... writes:
            > This morning at 6:38am I contacted 311 in regards to our
            neighborhood
            > prostitute "Judy" who was showing her bare breast on the corner of
            > 10th St. NE and RIA NE.  For the past week I have contacted 311
            every
            > morning around this time due to her solicitation.  At 6:41 I
            witnessed
            > patrol car 522 (African American female with short hair driving
            and
            > did not see what partner looked like) pull up to Judy, with her
            bra
            > showing, did not get out of car, talked to her for 2-3 minutes and
            > then drive away.  Shouldn't officers be iding these people,
            getting
            > out of their vehicle, etc.?  AND guess what it is 6:50am and Judy
            is
            > back out on the corner of 10th St. NE and RIA NE!!! SHOCKER!  I
            would
            > really like a response to this ASAP as to expectations of citizens
            and
            > what we should expect of our 5D officers.
            > Erin
            > 10th

            Click Here!">Give underprivileged students the materials they need to learn. Bring education to life by funding a specific classroom project
            .

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 5, 2005
              In regards to the first email of this bunch, I just found out this
              weekend that our neighborhood prostitute that was never ided by the
              police officers mentioned has a stay away order that I learned about
              this weekend. That is why it is so very, very important for
              officers to id solicitors and anyone else (even if the officers know
              the person through frequent contact) that may be up to negative
              behavior. Hopefully, the police who read this will remind their
              coworkers how important this is.
              Thank you,
              Erin
              10th

            • dc_20002_citizen
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 11, 2005
                [1200 Block 16th Street NE]

                I would like to see more ID checking from police. I personally know
                that my neighbor has a couple of warrants against him and also several
                of the local drug dealers have said aloud that they have warrants out
                on them. They know that the police will not check their IDs so they
                just roam the streets like the Wild West.

                One other thing that police can do is actually check the cars of these
                criminals. There are driving into the neighborhood with the drugs in
                their cars and when I have called to police several times, they do not
                actually check.

                --
                End Inner City Terrorism