A washingtonpost.com article from: gwensouth@aol.com

  • gwensouth@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 22, 2005
      You have been sent this message from gwensouth@... as a courtesy of washingtonpost.com

      Personal Message:
      Kudos to Officer Wendell Cunningham! From a pedestrian...
      Gwen Southerland

      Radar Gun Captures Controversy in D.C.

      By Del Quentin Wilber

      Wendell Cunningham worried about cars hitting children or elderly residents in his Southeast Washington neighborhood, so the D.C. police officer decided to hit the streets with a radar gun -- on his own time.

      To view the entire article, go to http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/18/AR2005081801850.html?referrer=emailarticle

      Would you like to send this article to a friend? Go to
      http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/emailafriend?contentId=AR2005081801850&sent=no&referrer=emailarticle

      Visit washingtonpost.com today for the latest in:

      News - http://www.washingtonpost.com/?referrer=emailarticle

      Politics - http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/politics/?referrer=emailarticle

      Sports - http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/sports/?referrer=emailarticle

      Entertainment - http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/artsandliving/entertainmentguide/?referrer=emailarticle

      Travel - http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/artsandliving/travel/?referrer=emailarticle

      Technology - http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/technology/?referrer=emailarticle

      Want the latest news in your inbox? Check out washingtonpost.com's e-mail newsletters:

      http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?node=admin/email&referrer=emailarticle

      Washingtonpost.Newsweek Interactive
      c/o E-mail Customer Care
      1515 N. Courthouse Road
      Arlington, VA 22201

      � 2004 The Washington Post Company
    • helburnclu@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 23, 2005
        Like many of my friends and neighbors, I was deeply disturbed by the
        Washington Post article on the 'appreciation' Officer Cunningham's
        willingness to go above and beyond the call of duty has received from
        the police dept. His efforts to keep his community safe sounds like the
        results city leaders were hoping for when they pushed home-ownership
        incentive programs for police officers and teachers who were willing to
        live in the communities in which they work. That he is being taken to
        task for possibly violating some paperwork regulations instead of being
        commended for his willingness to volunteer his time for pedestrians'
        safety is ludicrous.

        Do others on the list -- most especially police officers -- have ideas
        on how citizens can come forward to support Officer Cunningham? I am
        worried that his treatment will strongly discourage other officers who
        work hard on behalf of the communities they serve. I can't help but
        wonder how many other officers have been thwarted in their entirely
        legal and appropriate efforts to enforce the law simply because it
        inconvenienced or otherwise upset a more senior member of the force.

        MPD's police officers have to deal with enough hostility when they are
        out patrolling the streets. They deserve far better treatment by their
        chain of command!!

        --Jennifer

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 23, 2005
          I would start with the Mayor's Call Center and then move onto various (or all) members of the City Council. After that, I'd have to do some digging...