Prostitution

  • erheramb
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 19, 2005
      This morning at 6:38am I contacted 311 in regards to our neighborhood
      prostitute "Judy" who was showing her bare breast on the corner of
      10th St. NE and RIA NE. For the past week I have contacted 311 every
      morning around this time due to her solicitation. At 6:41 I witnessed
      patrol car 522 (African American female with short hair driving and
      did not see what partner looked like) pull up to Judy, with her bra
      showing, did not get out of car, talked to her for 2-3 minutes and
      then drive away. Shouldn't officers be iding these people, getting
      out of their vehicle, etc.? AND guess what it is 6:50am and Judy is
      back out on the corner of 10th St. NE and RIA NE!!! SHOCKER! I would
      really like a response to this ASAP as to expectations of citizens and
      what we should expect of our 5D officers.
      Erin
      10th
    • Medoro, Anthony (MPD)
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 21, 2005
        I have forwarded your email to the day shift sergeant. I will ensure this matter is looked in to.

        Lt. Medoro

        ________________________________

        This morning at 6:38am I contacted 311 in regards to our neighborhood
        prostitute "Judy" who was showing her bare breast on the corner of
        10th St. NE and RIA NE. For the past week I have contacted 311 every
        morning around this time due to her solicitation. At 6:41 I witnessed
        patrol car 522 (African American female with short hair driving and
        did not see what partner looked like) pull up to Judy, with her bra
        showing, did not get out of car, talked to her for 2-3 minutes and
        then drive away. Shouldn't officers be iding these people, getting
        out of their vehicle, etc.? AND guess what it is 6:50am and Judy is
        back out on the corner of 10th St. NE and RIA NE!!! SHOCKER! I would
        really like a response to this ASAP as to expectations of citizens and
        what we should expect of our 5D officers.
        Erin
        10th

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • gwensouth@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 21, 2005
          Erin,

          What is your reason or purpose for pointing out the race of the MPD officer?  Would a Caucasian officer have made a difference in making Judy put her clothes on?  I'm not sure it was you, but I do recall an earlier post concerning a group of youth smoking pot and the citizens flagged down an MPD officer.  That post also made a point of noting that the MPD officer was African American.  Please explain why the race of the officer would be of importance.  Maybe I'm missing something in your post.

          Gwen Southerland

          In a message dated 08/21/2005 10:20:56 AM Eastern Standard Time, erheramb@... writes:
          This morning at 6:38am I contacted 311 in regards to our neighborhood
          prostitute "Judy" who was showing her bare breast on the corner of
          10th St. NE and RIA NE.  For the past week I have contacted 311 every
          morning around this time due to her solicitation.  At 6:41 I witnessed
          patrol car 522 (African American female with short hair driving and
          did not see what partner looked like) pull up to Judy, with her bra
          showing, did not get out of car, talked to her for 2-3 minutes and
          then drive away.  Shouldn't officers be iding these people, getting
          out of their vehicle, etc.?  AND guess what it is 6:50am and Judy is
          back out on the corner of 10th St. NE and RIA NE!!! SHOCKER!  I would
          really like a response to this ASAP as to expectations of citizens and
          what we should expect of our 5D officers.
          Erin
          10th
        • Alex Lundry
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 22, 2005
            In regards to this issue, can an MPD officer tell us
            what they can and cannot do about prostitutes? When
            can an arrest be made...when can they be forced to
            leave a certain area...when should we call the
            authorities about their presence...what is MPD
            empowered to do?

            We have a LOT of prostitutes walking up and down West
            Virginia Ave at all hours of the day, and quite
            frankly, I never know what response is appropriate.
            Can MPD enlighten us?

            Thanks,
            Alex
            West Virginia Ave.

            --- erheramb <erheramb@...> wrote:

            > This morning at 6:38am I contacted 311 in regards to
            > our neighborhood
            > prostitute "Judy" who was showing her bare breast on
            > the corner of
            > 10th St. NE and RIA NE. For the past week I have
            > contacted 311 every
            > morning around this time due to her solicitation.
            > At 6:41 I witnessed
            > patrol car 522 (African American female with short
            > hair driving and
            > did not see what partner looked like) pull up to
            > Judy, with her bra
            > showing, did not get out of car, talked to her for
            > 2-3 minutes and
            > then drive away. Shouldn't officers be iding these
            > people, getting
            > out of their vehicle, etc.? AND guess what it is
            > 6:50am and Judy is
            > back out on the corner of 10th St. NE and RIA NE!!!
            > SHOCKER! I would
            > really like a response to this ASAP as to
            > expectations of citizens and
            > what we should expect of our 5D officers.
            > Erin
            > 10th

            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
          • baringlake
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 23, 2005
              I don't want to speak for Erin, but when I read the post, I thought
              she was just trying to give as much information as possible so that
              the folks at 5D could figure out exactly which police officer it was.
              Along with race, she also mentioned patrol car number, hair style, and
              gender.

              Hope that helps clear things up!
              Jen

            • gwensouth@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 23, 2005
                Thanks Jen...that would make sense I suppose.  Giving the patrol car number and perhaps the date and time would have made more sense to me.  I get a little bit sensitive when race is used.  Chalk it up to growing up in segregated DC and the Jim Crow era.

                I tend to look more at behaviors more so than race.  Unless there was a criminal act taking place and even then there has to be a description of the person other than merely race, although she did describe the hair style.  I could not fathom her reason to point out the race of the officer.  I am not one to "play the race card," but I do recognize the undertones of racism when I hear and see it.  Let's hope you are correct!

                Gwen Southerland

                In a message dated 08/23/2005 2:55:07 PM Eastern Standard Time, baringlake@... writes:
                I don't want to speak for Erin, but when I read the post, I thought
                she was just trying to give as much information as possible so that
                the folks at 5D could figure out exactly which police officer it was.
                Along with race, she also mentioned patrol car number, hair style, and
                gender.

                Hope that helps clear things up!
                Jen

                --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, gwensouth@a... wrote:
                > Erin,
                >
                > What is your reason or purpose for pointing out the race of the MPD
                officer?
                > Would a Caucasian officer have made a difference in making Judy put her
                > clothes on?  I'm not sure it was you, but I do recall an earlier
                post concerning a
                > group of youth smoking pot and the citizens flagged down an MPD
                officer.  That
                > post also made a point of noting that the MPD officer was African
                American.
                > Please explain why the race of the officer would be of importance.
                Maybe I'm
                > missing something in your post.
                >
                > Gwen Southerland
                >

                > In a message dated 08/21/2005 10:20:56 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                > erheramb@y... writes:
                > This morning at 6:38am I contacted 311 in regards to our neighborhood
                > prostitute "Judy" who was showing her bare breast on the corner of
                > 10th St. NE and RIA NE.  For the past week I have contacted 311 every
                > morning around this time due to her solicitation.  At 6:41 I witnessed
                > patrol car 522 (African American female with short hair driving and
                > did not see what partner looked like) pull up to Judy, with her bra
                > showing, did not get out of car, talked to her for 2-3 minutes and
                > then drive away.  Shouldn't officers be iding these people, getting
                > out of their vehicle, etc.?  AND guess what it is 6:50am and Judy is
                > back out on the corner of 10th St. NE and RIA NE!!! SHOCKER!  I would
                > really like a response to this ASAP as to expectations of citizens and
                > what we should expect of our 5D officers.
                > Erin
                > 10th

                Click Here!">Make a difference. Find and fund world-changing projects at GlobalGiving.

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
              • erheramb
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 23, 2005
                  Gwen and all others who may be wondering,
                  My purpose/reason for pointing out the race was for whoever is
                  responsible for these officers to be able to identify them. If the
                  driver was white, orange, red, green, etc. I would have wrote that
                  but the driver was an African American female with short dark hair.
                  So, my reason was for identifying purposes only. And, no I was not
                  the one who wrote about the youth smoking pot BUT I can assure you
                  that when I do write, call, speak with people about my concerns I
                  let them know as much description about the person/people that I am
                  talking about- for identity purposes only.
                  Erin
                  10th

                • gwensouth@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 24, 2005

                    Erin,

                    Glad you cleared that up.  I have had occasions to make a complaint on an officer, but it never crossed my mind to state the race of the officer.  Often the patrol number, tag number, badge number, name, time, date and location was sufficient enough to identify the officer.

                    I am a ferocious opponent of employees who do not perform their jobs. I have been a consistent critic of MPD when I felt they were not doing their jobs effectively, and they know this.  But never once have I injected their racial ethnicity into any complaint.

                    For information purposes, when describing Africans-Americans, one must have as much detailed information as possible, such as color of skin, facial features, height/weight, etc.  A blanket description of "black male/female" or "African-American" stigmatizes the entire race.  I have had to bring this stigmatization to the News Media as well.

                    As you know, we live in a country that has a long history of negatively portraying its African-American citizens who have made great contributions in this country. There are times when a racial description is necessary, but focus on the behaviors.  You will have more supporters for your concerns.

                    As I mentioned in my previous post, I DO NOT play the "race card" so this is not that game.  My intent is to gently bring to your attention that by you using the race of the MPD officer, you are dealing the hand of a racially charged game that we do not need in this city.

                    As to your concerns about the prostitution, I am in agreement totally with you.  This has been a problem on Rhode Island Avenue and other areas for a long time.  Many, many times, I have brought this problem to MPD, asking them why not arrest the Johns.  An MPD officer told me that it would not stop prostitution and I strongly disagreed.  This problems MUST be stopped.  For it brings a very undesirable element into our communities, including the drug problem which brings the killings.  So MPD has to bring this problem to a screeching halt.

                    A letter writing campaign to Chief Ramsey is one way to address this particular issue.  He must do something to stop the influx of prostitution, drugs, illegal guns on our city streets.  If he, Chief Ramsey, cannot resolve this problem, then he needs to be terminated and we the citizens must demand that he leave and leave now.  We can no longer tolerate these behaviors by miscreants, criminals and other undesirables in our city.

                    Gwen Southerland

                    In a message dated 08/24/2005 10:05:20 AM Eastern Standard Time, erheramb@... writes:
                    Gwen and all others who may be wondering,
                    My purpose/reason for pointing out the race was for whoever is
                    responsible for these officers to be able to identify them.  If the
                    driver was white, orange, red, green, etc. I would have wrote that
                    but the driver was an African American female with short dark hair.
                    So, my reason was for identifying purposes only.  And, no I was not
                    the one who wrote about the youth smoking pot BUT I can assure you
                    that when I do write, call, speak with people about my concerns I
                    let them know as much description about the person/people that I am
                    talking about- for identity purposes only.
                    Erin
                    10th
                    --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, gwensouth@a... wrote:
                    > Erin,
                    >
                    > What is your reason or purpose for pointing out the race of the
                    MPD officer?
                    > Would a Caucasian officer have made a difference in making Judy
                    put her
                    > clothes on?  I'm not sure it was you, but I do recall an earlier
                    post concerning a
                    > group of youth smoking pot and the citizens flagged down an MPD
                    officer.  That
                    > post also made a point of noting that the MPD officer was African
                    American.
                    > Please explain why the race of the officer would be of
                    importance.  Maybe I'm
                    > missing something in your post.
                    >
                    > Gwen Southerland
                    >

                    > In a message dated 08/21/2005 10:20:56 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                    > erheramb@y... writes:
                    > This morning at 6:38am I contacted 311 in regards to our
                    neighborhood
                    > prostitute "Judy" who was showing her bare breast on the corner of
                    > 10th St. NE and RIA NE.  For the past week I have contacted 311
                    every
                    > morning around this time due to her solicitation.  At 6:41 I
                    witnessed
                    > patrol car 522 (African American female with short hair driving
                    and
                    > did not see what partner looked like) pull up to Judy, with her
                    bra
                    > showing, did not get out of car, talked to her for 2-3 minutes and
                    > then drive away.  Shouldn't officers be iding these people,
                    getting
                    > out of their vehicle, etc.?  AND guess what it is 6:50am and Judy
                    is
                    > back out on the corner of 10th St. NE and RIA NE!!! SHOCKER!  I
                    would
                    > really like a response to this ASAP as to expectations of citizens
                    and
                    > what we should expect of our 5D officers.
                    > Erin
                    > 10th

                    Click Here!">Give underprivileged students the materials they need to learn. Bring education to life by funding a specific classroom project
                    .

                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 5, 2005
                      In regards to the first email of this bunch, I just found out this
                      weekend that our neighborhood prostitute that was never ided by the
                      police officers mentioned has a stay away order that I learned about
                      this weekend. That is why it is so very, very important for
                      officers to id solicitors and anyone else (even if the officers know
                      the person through frequent contact) that may be up to negative
                      behavior. Hopefully, the police who read this will remind their
                      coworkers how important this is.
                      Thank you,
                      Erin
                      10th

                    • dc_20002_citizen
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 11, 2005
                        [1200 Block 16th Street NE]

                        I would like to see more ID checking from police. I personally know
                        that my neighbor has a couple of warrants against him and also several
                        of the local drug dealers have said aloud that they have warrants out
                        on them. They know that the police will not check their IDs so they
                        just roam the streets like the Wild West.

                        One other thing that police can do is actually check the cars of these
                        criminals. There are driving into the neighborhood with the drugs in
                        their cars and when I have called to police several times, they do not
                        actually check.

                        --
                        End Inner City Terrorism