A Great Loss to the City

  • Robert Vinson Brannum
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 23, 2009

      Dear Neighbors,

      America and the District of Columbia have lost a national and local patriot.  The District of Columbia community has lost a valuable friend.  Retired Major General David F. Wherely and his wife Ann were among the casualties of the Metro train accident.  I knew General Wherely as my former military commander and as a community partner working for the public safety of all residents of and visitors to the District.

      One of General Wherely’s greatest legacies will be is his unyielding commitment to the youth of the District of Columbia.  He and I talked often not only about working together to increase the level of District support to the DC National Guard, but also about his passion to serve the young of Washington, DC.  General Wherely loved to go out and talk to community organizations about the many youth programs offered to District youth.  These programs which provided social and educational support were open to all District youth and provided at no cost to District children.

      It was his one of his dreams to turn the DC National Guard Armory into a community service center for young people.  General Wherely’s vision for DC National Guard’s community service to young people was not to recruit young people into the military, but rather to mold and nurture them into becoming responsible adults, fathers, mothers, neighbors, and friends.

      Please join me in sending prayers and condolences to his family, to the entire DC National Guard family, and to the families of others who lost their lives or were injured.

      Robert

      Robert Vinson Brannum

      Chairman, 5th District Citizens' Advisory Council, Inc. - www.5dcac.org