Re: [MPD-5D] Participants of 15-unit project

  • khenderson029@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 7, 2009
      The argument isn't that we do not need programs to help persons recover from substance abuse and mental illness. Again, there are persons suffering from addictions and mental health deficits in every ward of our city, underscoring a need for resources to combat the problem. The argument is the Hyacinth's Place project was ill-conceived and should not be located within the Trinidad community for the following reasons:

          1.    The project site is located in Patrol Service Area 504, which has one of the largest populations of
                  ex-offenders, registered sex-offenders, five liquor venues near the site and open-air drug activity.

          2.    The project site was not carefully considered and the Office of Planning had no input regarding the
                  proposed site or the overall scope of the project

          3.     The proposed site is two blocks from a Methadone clinic where clients routinely "get high" and fails
                  to provide a therapeutic environment for anyone to recover.

          4.    The project if allowed to operate at the proposed site will drain police resources and negatively affect
                  the safety of the Langston, Carver, Trinidad and H Street communities.

      The foregoing represents just a few reasons why this project is ill-conceived; there are more. Our community should not serve as a dumping ground for projects no one else wants. How many times is anyone in Georgetown, Beach Drive or Kalmia Road or Capitol Hill asked to serve as a back drop for this type of project? I recall a Georgetown church that wanted to feed the homeless, underscoring what many churches do and the affected residents vocally saying they did not approve of the effort. Well, the church was not allowed to go forward with that project. My community has already stated loudly and clearly that we do not want the Hyacinth's Place project. Why are the project organizers proceeding against our wishes? Are we deserving of less consideration? NO! Finally, we have a poorly run Methadone clinic in our midst that is a nightmare and we are home to the nearby Salvation Army Harbor Lights treatment facility for substance abuse. We are strained to capacity and should not have to house another facility of this type. We will fight not to be dumped on. Not here, not today, not any day!

      Kathy Henderson