Re: [TrinidadDC] Re: Coming to Ward 5: 15-unit project for mentally ill

  • khenderson029@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2009
      Commissioner Davis:

      I am glad you are on board to oppose this project, which the ANC 5B10 community vocally opposed in 2007. The project principals could not answer basic operational questions when we invited them to our community meeting in 2007. The meeting was also attended by residents of 5B08 and we unanimously opposed the project.

      Shortly after that meeting, they attempted to obtain support for the project by claiming the project would provide housing for elderly women and that their efforts were supported by our Councilmember. According to James Pittman in Councilmember Thomas' office they did not receive the Councilmember's support. We thwarted their efforts then and we will send them a stronger message now.

      Finally, I suggest that ANC 5B issue a joint resolution opposing this project at the meeting on Thursday. We will not be dumped on, serving as a repository for undesirable projects that no one wants, except persons that reside in Maryland. This project, if allowed to go forward will threaten the safety of the Langston, Carver, Trinidad and H Street communities. We must denounce any project that threatens to undermine our public safety and drain our police resources.

      Sincerely,

      Kathy Henderson
    • Joe
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2009
        Ms Henderson
        I'm going to pose the same question to you as I have to others:
        exactly what is it about this project that you oppose so vociferously?
        How do you consider this project "dumping" on the community and draining of public resources?
        I ask these questions with the reminder that these are people who are citizens of the city and members of the community who need help.
        The dehumanization displayed in in some conversations around this issue is very disturbing to me.
        My apologies if this response is in the wrong group.

        Regards
        Joe Cullinan