3 Stolen Scooters Recovered

  • Bagshaw, Jason (MPD)
    Message 1 of 3 , May 27, 2009
      On 5/27/09, the Fifth District Auto Theft Unit recovered three scooters throughout the Fifth District.  All three scooters exhibited signs of being stolen (namely the tell-tale sign of no keys/busted ignition).  In addition, all three operators gave weak stories on how they came in possession of the scooters (one admitted to finding it in an alley).

      The problem...they are not reported stolen (if your scooter gets stolen, please follow-up to make sure it is in the system as stolen).

      The scooters are:

      Kymco
      Yellow (the front headlight and handlebar piece were painted a metallic green)
      Recovered in PSA 505.

      Honda Metropolitan
      Red and White
      Recovered in PSA 502.

      Sunny Scooter
      Green and Black
      Recovered in PSA 501.

      Please pass this around to your neighbors so we can return the scooters and charge the operators accordingly.

      Contact Officer Bagshaw at (202) 698 0173 or at jason.bagshaw@...

    • Matt Ashburn
      Message 2 of 3 , May 28, 2009
        Were the operators of these vehicles arrested for operating
        unregistered vehicles? I'm assuming they aren't registered since the
        owners are unknown. Also, did they have valid proof of insurance and
        a valid operator's permit?

        DC law is very clear on this issue; motorcycles and mopeds require
        insurance coverage, a valid operator's permit, and registration. If
        they fall under "dirt bikes," then they are flat-out illegal to
        operate. Here is a link to a simple guide on DC law as it applies to
        non-traditional vehicles:
        http://ddot.dc.gov/ddot/lib/ddot/information/motorized-vehicles/non-trad_motorizedvehicles.pdf

        If they were not arrested or issued notices of infraction for any of
        the above offenses, why not?

        Matt

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 1, 2009
          Never received a response to the below questions. Why were the
          suspects not arrested for unregistered auto, no insurance, or any
          other applicable charge?

          Matt