[MPD-5D] New York Ave closure Wednesday night

  • Daniel Brewer
    Message 1 of 1 , May 6, 2009
      What was going on over on NY ave at Bladensburg

      Sent from my iPhone

      On May 6, 2009, at 4:26 PM, Dawn <lateran@...> wrote:

      Here is some information that might help.

      They are not Crossing Guards, they are Traffic Enforcement Officers. Crossing Guards (which typically work within a certain radius of a school) can be police officers, traffic enforcement officers, or citizens who volunteer on behalf of the school. The latter will strictly follow the pre-existing traffic signs/symbols b/c they have not been placed there by the government, "invested by law with authority" (there may be exceptions b/c there is always an exception to everything).

      Here is a press release from when they first started downtown:
      http://newsroom.dc.gov/show.aspx/agency/ddot/section/2/release/9238/year/2004/month/10

      Here is a link to Title 18 of the DCMR, you prob want Chapter 20:
      http://os.dc.gov/os/cwp/view,a,1207,q,640048,osNav,%7C31372%7C.asp

      The job of the TEO is not easy, and like you and I they are just people and make mistakes. With that said, if a particular TEO continually has problems performing their job that puts themselves or others at risk, I am sure their supervisor would like to know so they can either get the person more training or find a more suitable position for them; depending on the situation, circumstance and prevalence.

      Dawn in Trinidad