the profiling police

  • plainperfection@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 4 2:12 PM
      Let's recap your story:

      Officer is to your right (not the best view), and observes that you are not wearing a seatbelt (whether you are or not is incidental, the officer has made an observation that makes him believe that you are not).  Due to the fact that the officer believes a violation of the law is being committed, the officer makes a lawful traffic stop.

      He gets your license and returns with a "verbal warning."  You thank him by saying that you appreciate the police presence but resent the fact that it interferes with your day (I am sure these aren't your exact words, but this is probably the gist of your statement).  Realizing from your words and probably your attitude, the officer asks for your license back so he can issue you a "written warning."  Obviously, he knew you would be a problem, so he documented the incident with this warning (doesn't sound like he was trying to hide anything).

      So, now you either have had prior encounters with this officer and have a vendetta, or you are the worse judge of character and have no understanding what the police do.  To allege profiling is absurd and disrespectful to the community and police department.

      I watch police cars sit and do nothing all day.  This officer is actually working, and it is profiling in your eyes.  If we want crime to go down, we need a police presence. If we have a police presence, the police are going to work. If they are going work, we are at times going to be inconvenienced.  For some unknown reason, you confuse work and police presence with profiling.

      I am appalled at the audacity of your accusations and sad that more people are not calling you out on your ill-conceived notions of profiling.  An apology to the officer and wasting the police department's time with this nonsense is in order.

      From: Greene, Lamar (MPD) <lamar.greene@ dc.gov>
      To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups. com, "Crews-Dickerson, Chanel (MPD)" <Chanel.Crews- Dickerson@ dc.gov>
      Date: Sunday, May 3, 2009, 1:20 PM

      Definitely an excellant thought, I will have my outreach coordinator ms fayette vaughn lee contact you to begin setting this up!

      Message 2 of 2 , May 4 6:47 PM
        Thank you, being that this person has been here 20 years, it makes sense that they would be surprised that police work includes traffic stops. In the 10 years that I have been here I think I have only seen maybe three instances of the police even pretending to enforce traffic laws, so I for one appreciate this. If a police officer sees you breaking a law, and stops you for it, that is his/her job. If they decline to cut you a break because you decide to have a chip on your shoulder, that is only human. This whole idea that you may cry and whine that you have been "profiled" is bull, get over it and buckle up.

        Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

        From: Greene, Lamar (MPD) <lamar.greene@ dc.gov>
        To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups. com, "Crews-Dickerson, Chanel (MPD)" <Chanel.Crews- Dickerson@ dc.gov>
        Date: Sunday, May 3, 2009, 1:20 PM