Re: Side issue to "FBI Warning from MPD"

  • dccop58
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 24, 2009
      DC allows no signs advertising goods or services to be posted on public space. Enforcement involves first catching the person in the act of putting them up and then writing a 61-D violation which carries a $50 fine for each sign that constitutes a violation. Also, many of these signs are posted by the homeless who get paid "under the table" to put them up.

      I do agree this is a quality-of-life issue that makes an area seem more run down as a result. The best thing the citizen can do is to simply take down and properly dispose of any signs for goods/services attached to poles, trees, walls, etc. on public space. I take these signs down whenever I see them but they are right back up within days. It would help to have everyone pitch in. Some of these signs are not cheap, and if the advertiser has to constantly replace them to get his message out, he may rethink his options if his cost doubles or triples.

      (BTW: Signs that ARE allowed include political campaign signs and signs advertising first-ammendment gatherings/protests. Even these signs have certain restrictions...max of three per side of a block, for example.)

      --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "k3" <klee@...> wrote:

      > What should citizens do when they see signs (like this one) that are posted
      > illegally?
      >
      > A. Pull them down and put them in the trash.
      >
      > B. Photograph them, pull them down and put them in the trash.
      >
      > C. Note the location, then call and report them to the city.
      >
      > D. Photograph them, note the location, then call and report them to the
      > city.
      >
      > E. Ignore them.
      >
      > If the answer is C or D, what agency/phone number do we call?
      >
      > Nothing could be more effective at warning me away from a neighborhood or a
      > city sector than these signs. Their presence tells not only tells me that
      > scofflaws are able to put them up with impunity, but also that the community
      > has given up on getting rid of them, and is resigned the ugly, illegal
      > clutter. At that point, I have to wonder, "What else has this community
      > given up on? What else is acceptable to its residents that might not be
      > acceptable to me?"
      >
      > Furthermore, the people who inflict us with these signs are targeting the
      > poor, the desperate, the ignorant, and the gullible. That means they are
      > likely to target areas they feel have a high concentration of poor,
      > desperate, ignorant, and gullible people. I don't want to live in a
      > neighborhood like that, any more than I'd want to live in an area filled
      > with people who are rich, self-satisfied, arrogant, and shrewd.

    • sara kaufman
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 24, 2009
        imho - I'd be careful what you wish for - if one of your wishes is to see NO Realtor signs.

        The Realtor signs are a form of advertisement that helps sell vacant properties,  and vacant properties are another blight  we just do not need.  Be it renovated/new/vacant or abandoned/vacant -  a vacant property is an uncared for property.

        Having said that - one time when some signs were truly excessive in number -  I merely called the number on the sign and left a polite message they that that signs were excessive, unsightly AND illegal, and informed I would call the city and/or throw them all away if they were not "thinned out" .   A day or two later all but one or two were removed.     And slightly off topic - but I do the same basic thing when the lawn is a foot high in front of a house that's for sale - the Realtors usually don't want an unsightly property and on many occasion will send someone to mow the lawn.    I've had success several times calling the Realtor to clean up /mow a property.

        Sometimes a simple phone call DOES work.   When it does - it a lot less time spent then trying to get the city to do it,  and it doesn't waste our tax dollars.

        Do what you can do,  so city agencies and MPD have more time to do what you can not do.

        On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 8:00 PM, k3 <klee@...> wrote:

        Maybe it's like the old law against littering, which for some reason
        the police didn't have the authority to enforce.

        I still don't understand how something can be illegal, even have fines
        specified for it, but not have anyone in charge of enforcing it. Or
        maybe someone IS in charge of enforcing it, but for whatever reason
        doesn't.

        Unless a law is enforceable - AND enforced - it becomes a form of
        clutter itself. It detracts from laws deemed enforcement-worthy in the
        same way that these signs detract from legitimate ones.

        Aside from being visual garbage, I suspect most of them are for
        enterprises which are scams ... or at the least do not legally exist.

        Several years back some program had a bounty on them. Fundraising
        groups were competing to see who could turn in the most. If that drive
        succeeded, maybe we need a repeat performance. Or we could send groups
        of trustworthy inmates out on illegal sign removal detail.