Police Activity - Eckington

  • tmanago538
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 12, 2009
      Hi-

      Can someone explain what's been going on in Eckington, specifically near 2nd & U Sts NE and V St NE (between 2nd & 3rd Sts NE). I received an alert about a shooting on 2nd & U Sts last night. There have been a ton of police cars up and down 2nd Street in both directions for the past two days.

      We are officially nervous. Please let us know what is going on.

      Thank you,
      Terry
    • Greene, Lamar (MPD)
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 13, 2009
        Re: [MPD-5D] Police Activity - Eckington

        There was a report of a shooting where a young male subject states he was car jacked on Sunday evening and grazed by a bullet in his left side during the incident. We are investigating his report of this incident.  The victim states this occurred at 6pm although there were several police units in the area.

        In general in that area we have increased patrols and are actively attempting to break up several groups who hang in that area. Many of the neighborhood disputes that caused violence last year in that area have begun to flare up again.  We are putting extra resources in that area to attempt to stop the violence before it gets hot.  Please report any suspicious activity to us immediately, thank you.

      • faceartists@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 13, 2009
          We have noticed increased patrols and we appreciate it! Some participants in these groups that hang out and around used to live next door to us...they have since moved out of the house, but we are aware that they still are in the neighborhood.

          5-D...please keep up the great work! We know that the demand for your presence will be greater the warmer the weather gets. Again....the citizens appreciate your proactive approach.

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 13, 2009
            Thank You! Commander Greene ! In the last 2 weeks there has been an increased police presence in our community to address some of the concerns that the community is having about certain groups and their activity in our community. I have seen foot patrol officers on Rhode Island Ave. n.e. on 4Th and V street n.e.,Todd Place ,T Street, Summitt Place,  U street. The light tower at Summitt and U Street the last four nights and a traffic check point at T Street and Lincoln Road on last Friday.You along with Lt. Ronald Wright and Sergeant Donald Smalls Jr. have been very responsive to our request for increase police  presence around McKinley Tech. HS and R street and Eckington and your participation in the McKinley Tech PTSA Safety Summit.At Our last meeting that was held at 635 Edgewood your officers were present that patrol that area and addressed our concerns about the the 7TH and Girard area and the stepped up police presence in that area.Recently you sent out a Police Service Area Point of Contact Table with the Phone # and e-mail addresses of all the PSA Lieutenants that the community can contact directly.I hope that PSA 501 could begin again to have it's PSA meetings  and that the community would attend these meetings. A Community walk-thru is fine for a number of  reasons to highlight our community concerns to our elected officials but we as residents must work with MPD and come out to the PSA meetings.Commander Greene you and your officers are always welcomed to our meetings to speak to the community and to address our concerns, our next meeting will be on April 27,th at McKinley Tech HS AT 7:00pm in room 150.

            Thank You!
            Michael  Clark
            President:Edgewood Civic Association

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 13, 2009

              Thanks for your support, we will continue these efforts and appreciate your active community!

[...]

            • Thomas, Harry (COUNCIL)
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 13, 2009
                Again thanks commander and i will continue to follow up with you on the resource action plan and hot spot treatment for this area.

                Sent from my Windows MobileĀ® phone.

                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 14, 2009
                  Thank you Cmdr. Greene. My family really appreciates the responsiveness and support.

                  Terry